Some cactus today

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
keith

Re: Some cactus today

Post by keith »

Albuca concordiana flowers in March , I grow outdoors in partial sunlight. Below copied From kyle's website which is where I bought this plant .

Albuca concordiana Family: Asparagaceae. A rarely seen succulent bulb from South Africa with blue-gray flattened curly-q leaves. The bulb forms new bulblets regularly. You can leave them together to make a clump or separate them to make new plants. Flowers are bright yellow and produced at the end of the growing season. Easy to grow. It is a winter grower so water regularly (in succulent terms) from fall until spring, then cut back in the summer until it starts to grow again. It usually drops its leaves during the dormant period. Protect from frost.

This species, like all curly leaf Albuca, needs a lot of light to make curled leaves. If your plant starts producing straight leaves then it needs more light.
Attachments
albuca concordiana
albuca concordiana
albuca.jpg (114.23 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Very nice plant! I sowed seeds of this two months ago, still look like grass :)
keith

Post by keith »

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele blooming today , below from llife .

"Origin and Habitat: Hidalgo, Queretaro, Mexico. It is known from 11 subpopulation in less than five locations (extent of occurrence 450 km²)
Altitude: 1100-2160
Habitat and Ecology: Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele grows in semi-desert (matorral) in limestone hills among calcareous rocks together with Mammillaria elongata, Agave ferox, Echinocactus platyacanthus, Coryphantha radians, Opuntia rastrera. The population is declining due to the ongoing removal of plants by collectors both for human consumption (narcotic) and for ornamental purposes. The total population size is less than 2,500 mature individuals. Mining of limestone for cement production is also a threat in some places "
Attachments
turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele
turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele
turb.jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
keith

Post by keith »

I think this is what these are ? Under 50% shade cloth not too hard to grow just slow.

Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus subs. schwarzii best known as: Turbinicarpus schwarzii is a one of the several local form of the very variable Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus distinguished for having flattened tubercles with yellow-grey central spines and ivory white flowers in spring. This
Attachments
Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus subs. schwarzii
Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus subs. schwarzii
Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus subs. schwarzii .jpg (154.26 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
keith

Post by keith »

I re-potted some older cactus that were in a Sandy soil . Growing fine but I have since added more pumice to the sandy soil. This species does poorly in store bought potting mixes.
Attachments
Epithelantha bokeii
Epithelantha bokeii
epi bokeii.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:51 pm I re-potted some older cactus that were in a Sandy soil . Growing fine but I have since added more pumice to the sandy soil. This species does poorly in store bought potting mixes.
I've seen you mention your sandy soil before, but wow you weren't kidding! :shock: How long does that take to dry?
keith

Post by keith »

The interesting thing is they all do well in this kind of soil and when I shifted all this fine soil out and re-potted my cactus they started rotting so I switched back . Maybe a PH buffering thing ? IDK ?