how to get my cacti to bloom?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
trashcanteoh

how to get my cacti to bloom?

Post by trashcanteoh »

ive had a few echinopsis and rebutias in the past 3 years and they have yet to flower, only failed buds here and there. i recently read online that they need a cool and dry winter rest period but i live in a tropical country where its sunny all year around. Do i have to bring them indoors during the winter period to get them to flower under artificial light or is there any other way because i prefer the outdoors.
-j3det30h-
hegar

Re: how to get my cacti to bloom?

Post by hegar »

Hello trashcantheo,

I cannot give you a good answer to your question. I did notice though, that when my shade tree died, I did have more flowering. On the other hand, my Echinopsis subdenudata started out as a one-stemmed plant and does have three now. It did not bloom, but decided to use its energy to grow more vegetatively. The same is true for a big Echinopsis bruchii. I purchased that plant as a seedling in a 2 3/4 inch square pot. The plant grew quickly and is now my biggest cactus, with a diameter of over 9 inches, but has yet to flower! Two years ago, it looked like something was going to happen, when two flower buds showed up. However, the plant aborted those. :( I also own an Echinopsis grandiflorus, which is large enough to bloom, but thus far has not done me the favor. Three other Echinopsis species, one being an Echinopsis eyriesii, the other a red-flowering Echinopsis, and the third an Echinopsis chamaecereus do bloom dependably every year.
I hope, that someone, who does grow various members of that genus will chime in and help both of us.

Harald
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

trashcanteoh wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 am ive had a few echinopsis and rebutias in the past 3 years and they have yet to flower, only failed buds here and there. i recently read online that they need a cool and dry winter rest period but i live in a tropical country where its sunny all year around. Do i have to bring them indoors during the winter period to get them to flower under artificial light or is there any other way because i prefer the outdoors.
A cool winter rest means dormancy, and that requires overnight lows consistently below 50F/10C. Cacti in tropical countries grow pretty much year-round -- not sure about Echinopsis, but it's highly unlikely that your Rebutias will bloom.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
trashcanteoh

Post by trashcanteoh »

hegar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 am Hello trashcantheo,

I cannot give you a good answer to your question. I did notice though, that when my shade tree died, I did have more flowering. On the other hand, my Echinopsis subdenudata started out as a one-stemmed plant and does have three now. It did not bloom, but decided to use its energy to grow more vegetatively. The same is true for a big Echinopsis bruchii. I purchased that plant as a seedling in a 2 3/4 inch square pot. The plant grew quickly and is now my biggest cactus, with a diameter of over 9 inches, but has yet to flower! Two years ago, it looked like something was going to happen, when two flower buds showed up. However, the plant aborted those. :( I also own an Echinopsis grandiflorus, which is large enough to bloom, but thus far has not done me the favor. Three other Echinopsis species, one being an Echinopsis eyriesii, the other a red-flowering Echinopsis, and the third an Echinopsis chamaecereus do bloom dependably every year.
I hope, that someone, who does grow various members of that genus will chime in and help both of us.

Harald
i do hope so too, that someone will bless us with the required knowledge T.T. But thank you very much!!
-j3det30h-
trashcanteoh

Post by trashcanteoh »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:42 am
trashcanteoh wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 am ive had a few echinopsis and rebutias in the past 3 years and they have yet to flower, only failed buds here and there. i recently read online that they need a cool and dry winter rest period but i live in a tropical country where its sunny all year around. Do i have to bring them indoors during the winter period to get them to flower under artificial light or is there any other way because i prefer the outdoors.
A cool winter rest means dormancy, and that requires overnight lows consistently below 50F/10C. Cacti in tropical countries grow pretty much year-round -- not sure about Echinopsis, but it's highly unlikely that your Rebutias will bloom.
10C!!!! , oh my. looks like the chances of mine blooming is very slime to none as its around 24C - 33C all year around.
-j3det30h-
7george

Post by 7george »

If I lived in Malaysia I would choose to grow tropical or at least heat-loving ones. In my conditions mountain cacti perform better and many tropical ones or heat-lovers never bloomed even after many years.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As George says we all want to grow plants that don't suit our climate. However it is easier to provide heat in winter than cool a greenhouse down, though I believe Kew has a "refrigerated" greenhouse for alpines to keep them cooler.

Melocacti, tropical Cerei or rain forest cacti would suit your conditions. In the latter case you could provide shade.

https://www.growsonyou.com/hywel/blog/2 ... rest-cacti

https://www.thespruce.com/grow-melocactus-cacti-1902965
trashcanteoh

Post by trashcanteoh »

DaveW wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:37 am As George says we all want to grow plants that don't suit our climate. However it is easier to provide heat in winter than cool a greenhouse down, though I believe Kew has a "refrigerated" greenhouse for alpines to keep them cooler.

Melocacti, tropical Cerei or rain forest cacti would suit your conditions. In the latter case you could provide shade.

https://www.growsonyou.com/hywel/blog/2 ... rest-cacti

https://www.thespruce.com/grow-melocactus-cacti-1902965
i guess ill just store them inside my room with some artificial lighting and constant air-conditioning haha. anyways thank you very much for the recomended cacti, ill be sure to look em up.
-j3det30h-
trashcanteoh

Post by trashcanteoh »

7george wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:49 am If I lived in Malaysia I would choose to grow tropical or at least heat-loving ones. In my conditions mountain cacti perform better and many tropical ones or heat-lovers never bloomed even after many years.
ill take your advice to the heart and thank you for the information! it was incredibly helpful.
-j3det30h-