Any Epithelantha experts in the house?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Steve Johnson

Any Epithelantha experts in the house?

Post by Steve Johnson »

I have an E. bokei I got from Mesa Garden at the end of 2013. The plant is doing fairly well, although I wonder if I have the watering right. Here it is after a repot in March 2016, and you can see what the root system looks like:

Conventional wisdom says that the bokei may be overpotted, but since I'm growing it in a straight pumice-granite gravel mix, the pot size is just about right. And the plant is growing, as we see at the end of summer 2018 and '19:

I've been watering the bokei every 2 weeks in spring and summer, although if it does most of its growing in summer, should I increase summertime watering frequency to every 10 days? The species is a very slow grower anyway, so my thought is that watering the plant every 2 weeks in summer could be holding it back from taking full advantage of its peak growing time. If any Epithelantha experts out there concur, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Aiko

Re: Any Epithelantha experts in the house?

Post by Aiko »

There is a very interesting Epithelantha book out there: "Epithelantha 2011" by by Donati and Zanovello. A nice little booklet, and should not be expensive and hard to find (such as on http://www.keithscactusbooks.co.uk).

Although you would not find the answer of your specific question in there.

I would never water my plants on a schedule. I think one good splash every few weeks is more than enough. But I do have a different climate than you will have. As you say, it is a slow grower. Slow growers basically never allow them to be pushed by watering them more. It is only a risk. And an Epithelantha does not grow to a big plant anyway, if all is well. It should stay a relatively compact plant. I would suggest to keep it compact and don't increase watering. It is already of flowering age / size, at the looks of it.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Thanks for your response, Aiko!

I just emailed my question to Miles Anderson of Miles' To Go -- and his answer steered me clear of the idea that E. bokei should get watering a little more often in summer. My climate and horticultural practices make a regular watering schedule possible, so I'll be watering the bokei every two weeks in spring and summer along with my other Epithelanthas.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
keith

Post by keith »

I have many E bokeii and don't water them too often and only when its going to be hot so they dry out . They have a tendency to stain if the spines get wet and don't dry out in a day at least in humid CA where I am now.

Miles is more expert than I am so he said don't water them too much I guess ?
Aloha916

Post by Aloha916 »

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and what you've learned.
Last edited by Aloha916 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bartab

Post by bartab »

Poot's mix does have a lot of peat in it from what I can tell.
Aloha916

Post by Aloha916 »

bartab wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:41 am Poot's mix does have a lot of peat in it from what I can tell.
After going outside and looking at a bag you're right, quite a bit more organic than I'd been thinking.
Last edited by Aloha916 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartab

Post by bartab »

I've got 5 or 6 different types of Epithelantha and I know I shouldn't say it but they are all still around. I'm sure that will jinx it now though. I've watered them every 10 days to 2 weeks in the summer. I will take pics of mine tomorrow. I have some plants in 2.5 inch tall clay pots in pumice and grit and they dry out very quick. I do seal my small pots but in our dry, windy climate in the summer they dry quickly. I'm thinking about a little organic like you do currently.
keith

Post by keith »

've got 5 or 6 different types of Epithelantha and I know I shouldn't say it but they are all still around. I'm sure that will jinx it now though.'

Epithelanthas can grow in very poor soil and survive. As long as it dries out fast. Put them in a organic cactus mix yea good luck with that.