How to reconcile differing cultural instructions

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fanaticactus

How to reconcile differing cultural instructions

Post by fanaticactus »

One of my new cacti this year is an Echinocereus bonkerae. In trying to compile basic care instructions, I found one source claims this genus and species needs more moisture than 'normal' desert cacti. However, it warns against overwatering because it can easily rot. Other sources say to water it every 10-15 days which, to me, does not seem like 'more moisture than normal desert cacti'.

My collection is potted mainly in pumice and some coir for moisture retention plus some regular potting soil (roughly 10% - 40%, depending on the genus/species and its growing preferences and native environment). I pot in plastic whenever possible. I've had terrible luck with clay. Although I like the uniform overall appearance of clay pots, they dry out much too fast and, when it's time to repot, I usually find the roots have grown attached to the porous clay and the cactus is difficult to remove.

I know the question of watering will come up often as I proceed through my list of cacti (well over 100), so the problem of 'how much water is right' will always arise--especially when sources appear to contradict each other. Has anyone had specific experience with the E. bonkerae? Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Shane

Re: How to reconcile differing cultural instructions

Post by Shane »

Cactus culture varies according to the climate and potting media used. I'm guessing that explains the difference between the sources here. In your humid climate, I'd maybe be more careful with water
I found one source claims this genus and species needs more moisture than 'normal' desert cacti. However, it warns against overwatering because it can easily rot
I've seen variations of this advice for many species and it frustrates me. It's vague and really offers no practical guidance. If there's any value in this type of recommendation, I can't see it
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Aloha916

Post by Aloha916 »

If you're going off of LLIFLE, sometimes, it seems like those cultivation sections are just copied/pasted between species and genera.
Last edited by Aloha916 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Shane wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:58 am I've seen variations of this advice for many species and it frustrates me. It's vague and really offers no practical guidance. If there's any value in this type of recommendation, I can't see it
As you mention, Shane, the variations and vagueness of the advice I find bothers me also. I guess the potting material, container, and local climate present huge problems for enthusiasts in deciding any kind of precise schedule or formula for cactus care. The best guidance is, apparently, experience and the general overall appearance and growth (or lack of) of the individual cactus. Meanwhile, I'll continue to try to strike a 'happy medium' of all those very broad guidelines. Thanks for your input. Glad to know I'm not alone with this confusion.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thank you, Aloha916, for your useful words of experience. I've noticed too that Llifle uses 'cut and paste' a lot, so I know I can't rely on them as a sole source of information. I also look at other sites for their information, but often their guidelines are even more vague. That's why I resorted to asking here in the Forum. I always water conservatively because I've lost so many cacti to rot; that's also why I've changed my potting medium to mainly pumice and crushed granite in the form of poultry gravel. As I replied to Shane, after observing the broadest of cultural info for type of potting medium, water, and sun exposure, I just have to wait and see how well each cactus does.

I know almost all Echinocereus like full sun, but I'm wondering if this small specimen (about 1.5" tall) should be shaded from the strong PM sun until it's bigger. Any advice on that? I'm only assuming from my experience and years of studying photographs that this cactus actually is an Echinocereus; this is NOT the bonkerae. When I take a picture of it, I'll post it here (although I know it should properly go under 'Cactus ID').
DSC08810.JPG
DSC08810.JPG (81.01 KiB) Viewed 913 times
DSC08811.JPG
DSC08811.JPG (80.36 KiB) Viewed 913 times
DSC08812.JPG
DSC08812.JPG (76.99 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Now that I can see more enlarged details in the pictures, I'm wondering if this could instead be a type of Echinopsis.
7george

Post by 7george »

From what I see on the photos above that is not an Echinocereus at all. This some Notocactus or (less likely) an Echinopsis (like E. mamillosa) but with unusual stem shape : these cacti are more robust and rounded at normal conditions. So give this cactus more water in any case.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

7george wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:00 pm From what I see on the photos above that is not an Echinocereus at all. This some Notocactus or (less likely) an Echinopsis (like E. mamillosa) but with unusual stem shape : these cacti are more robust and rounded at normal conditions. So give this cactus more water in any case.
Interesting observations. Really the only reason I thought this might be an Echinocereus is its columnar form. I have quite a few Notocactus/Parodia and Echinopsis. Since you can see it's in rapidly draining substrate, I will definitely start giving it more water. We just had six straight days of temps in the 90s, and I only sprayed some lightly with a mist. Now that we're back to more normal temperatures, I don't feel bad about giving this more water. I believe it is pretty well established. Thanks for your help. I'll keep an eye on it to see how it develops.