Hello ...

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Jennigrw

Hello ...

Post by Jennigrw »

Hi everyone, I’m new to cacti and was wondering if anyone could help me find out what’s going on with my cactus- I’ve had it for a couple of years and not thought about it much but about a month ago it flowered. The flowers were white and quite small. A few weeks later it started growing a bright red sausage shape out of the side! If anyone knows what it is I’d be very grateful of their input. I’m afraid I’ve no idea of the species. Any help appreciated!

I’ve attached a picture
Attachments
A5F5FC38-1EAF-4732-8242-FE8403796866.jpeg
A5F5FC38-1EAF-4732-8242-FE8403796866.jpeg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
anttisepp

Re: Hello ...

Post by anttisepp »

Hello Jenni
:) It's a normal fruit (berry) on Mammillaria simplex.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
As anttisepp has said - that's just a fruit!
Also, I agree with the id, especially as I'm not the best to ask about Mammillaria ID's...
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Jennigrw,

just like anttisepp and gemhunter178 I do welcome you to the CactiGuide forum. I also support the findings of the two previous posters, i.e. the red structure on your Mammillaria sp. cactus is a fruit. So your cactus got pollinated and is producing seeds.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Welcome!

Yes, it's a fruit. Mammillarias are weird that way, the fruits develop long after the flowers have shriveled up and disappeared.
Spence :mrgreen: