i think i am addicted

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Aiko

Re: i think i am addicted

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:09 pm
prickle wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:46 pm sounds to me like they would grow quite easily in UK :D
Sarracenia's grow easily up here in the Netherlands. I think the UK would be the same. I should be able to offer some seeds from my in 2013 sown Sarracenia oreophila plants, if you want to give them a try next year. If the seed pods ripen well, they will be on my free seed list.
The sun got to them in a warm spell two weeks ago, the flower pods haven't made it because of this, as did the pitchers of the plants. Maybe next year again, when (if) they emerge from the rhizome.
7george

Post by 7george »

Once up on a time cacti growers used to start their hobby by reading a book about cacti throughout. Now they ask about everything needed posting a special topic in a forum. The world has changed.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
bartab

Post by bartab »

Still true, but I have slowed down considerably this summer. Only a couple of things on my list. Haven't really bought many plants lately, and have actually been giving some away. Have been spending time getting things into nicer and more appropriate pots. Was looking for a quick source for Coir over the weekend and a nearby hydroponics shop with tilt towards pot had what I needed. I could not believe all the cool stuff they had. Hundreds of different fertilizers and all sorts of different types of insecticides that I have never heard of being at the big stores. The guy in there was talking to somebody about a soil drench and my ears perked up. All of my sources are pretty much in The Bay Area and places I pass by on a regular basis. Regular pumice I grabbed in decent sized bags at Poots Cactus Nursery in the Central Valley and have way too much for what I will need in the next couple of years. I don't get that way very often, so grabbed extra. California Gold DG sized about 1/8" and Lava at Acapulco Soil and Gravel in East Bay. One item I probably should not have started with is an expensive type of Japanese Pumice. Hyuga. It's dirty, and really expensive but I picked that up at a bonsai nursery. I had to try it. The old time Asian guys that own the place are really nice and are fun to talk to. I rinse it twice but the plants I have put into a mix with it included are doing really well. Probably just coincidence but I'll keep experimenting with it while I have some remaining. My garage is full of crap. Need to start sorting it out when Fall rolls around.
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

My collection started when I bought my first "cactus", which I found out to be a haworthia back in 1997. A short while later I bought a real cactus, a ferocactus glaucescens. The ferocactus fell off the window sill on my ex girlfriend's head and they were banned from the house. Well, that is when the addiction started and I kept an eye out for unique cactus since then. I now have 300 plus cacti and succulents. I still have my original first two that started it all. I grow them outside in the 10 by 20 greenhouse and inside the house in the grow room during the cold months. I only use rain water or distilled water to water them. I am out of room, but still manage to squeeze more in.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

prickle wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:53 am i have been fascinated by cacti for as long as i can remember (visually), but it is only about a month since i first decided to actually grow some, and only about 2-3 weeks since i actually bought my first cactus ever.
now i have 8 already!!! 4 of them were bought by luck in one pot (was only 3 when i bought it :D ), but i will be repotting them to their own pots tomorrow which will give me a family of 8 in less than 3 weeks.

my daughter keeps laughing at me because i am spending hours and hours almost every day researching my cacti and how to best look after them. she says i am getting old, but i cant stop!! :D

i am not ashamed [-X
Me too!! Ask my wife. She saids I have spent 4K now😂😂😂😂
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.