Maximizing Moon Cactus lifespan by grafting to large stock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
KonureKing

Maximizing Moon Cactus lifespan by grafting to large stock

Post by KonureKing »

Hello, does the common chlorophyll lacking moon cactus die because it grows larger than what its stock can support? Or is the plant inherently unstable no matter what? I was thinking if these plants were grafted to a much larger plant (and only made up a small percentage of the plant overall) they might have a normal lifespan. Say if only one pup was grafted to the areole of a large cactus, would the plant have a normal lifespan?

Thanks for your help,

Tom
gemhunter178

Re: Maximizing Moon Cactus lifespan by grafting to large stock

Post by gemhunter178 »

Yes and no - the Hylocereus stock they usually come with could probably support much more (if you've seen some of the insane grafting people have done with them,) but if it was too small or short we would run into a support issue as the Gymnocalycium ('Moon cactus') grafted on it usually lacks the chlorophyll needed for photosynthesis and cannot make it's own sugars.
The problem most of the time is that Hylocereus is not meant to be a permanent grafting stock and either it or the scion (in this case the Gymnocalycium) would die off withing an year or two if not degrafted/regrafted. Theoretically, if you graft the Gymnocalycium onto a more 'permanent' stock that can support the nutritional needs of both plants, it can live a 'normal' lifespan. Some examples of more permanent stocks are Myrtillocactus geometrizans, Harrisia jusbertii, Stenocereus griseus and some Opuntias. There are many more, but those are some I've seen or done myself.

Supporting evidence:
- Some purple, chlorophyll-containing Gymnos sold in the same fashion will also rot within a few years, though it can live on it's own roots
- Various fully-grown albino/chlorophyll-lacking cacti grafted on more permanent stocks
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Shane

Post by Shane »

gemhunter178 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:01 am Yes and no - the Hylocereus stock they usually come with could probably support much more (if you've seen some of the insane grafting people have done with them,)
I think part of the problem is Hylocereus doesn't grow that well in (most of) the US and Europe. This is primarily where our knowledge comes from and I think it's just a natural result of this being an English language forum. So collectively we don't know all that much about Hylocereus
The problem most of the time is that Hylocereus is not meant to be a permanent grafting stock and either it or the scion (in this case the Gymnocalycium) would die off withing an year or two if not degrafted/regrafted
Some people say there are no permanent stocks. But regardless chlorophyll-less Gymnos on Hylocereus are well known to only last a few years. I'd be interested to see if they actually have better results on other fat stocks, like the ones Gemhunter mentions. I don't know that anyone's ever taken the time to try. It could be that they just aren't long lived plants in general
Some purple, chlorophyll-containing Gymnos sold in the same fashion will also rot within a few years, though it can live on it's own roots
Interesting. I never knew those ones had those issues too
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
babytoes1956

Post by babytoes1956 »

What happens when Moon cacti are grafted atop the wild green form of Gymnocalycium mihanovichii? I imagine the graft would take quite readily. Will the chlorophyll from the green form change the colour of the grafted cacti? I can't seem to find any information about this being attempted, but I can't be the only person who has wondered if this works. Wouldn't this solve the problem with the issues of grafting a moon cactus to a Hylocereus?