Newbie: Help with my Lophophoras!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Edspt

Newbie: Help with my Lophophoras!

Post by Edspt »

Hello, as I'm new here, let me make a brief introduction...

Recently I moved to the countryside of Portugal, more precisely in the region of the Alentejo.
The Alentejo is the hottest and driest of all differents regions of Portugal, the climate of the region is typically warm and dry for a large part of the year, with summer temperatures regularly reaching up to 40 °C (104 °F), while winters are little rainy, wet and relatively mild by European standards.

0.jpg
0.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 667 times

I have a Lophophora for a few years that I bought very small and it seems to be loving the new home/climate, because I noticed some development after moving here.
So... My interest has increased about these plants and I decided to buy another one, a little bigger.

So far I have had no problems with these plants, I keep them inside a greenhouse most of the time with a sun protective cover and the substrate I use looks ok, a mixture of limestone gravel, pumice, lava rock, perlite, akadama and kiryu and they dry really fast.

1.JPG
1.JPG (79.04 KiB) Viewed 667 times

But now some questions have come up and I hope to receive some help in this forum :)

FIRST: This summer is being really hot, and my little plant was a little squishy and wrinkled, so I watered it and it became firmer,
but not turgid as it usually is. And I noticed that a small part of the bottom is becoming a little purple(?) and still squishy.
I did some research and it seems to be a sign of dehydration.
Can I water more frequently??? I'm really afraid of rotting problems.

2.JPG
2.JPG (47.98 KiB) Viewed 667 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (50.04 KiB) Viewed 667 times

SECOND: The bigger plant, which I bought recently, came with some scars. As soon as the plant arrived, I took the plant out of the pot, washed it, allowed it to dry properly, and changed the substrate (that was very organic) and the scars seem to have no progression. Should I worry about mites etc?

4.JPG
4.JPG (49.27 KiB) Viewed 667 times

THIRD: I bought these plants in simple plant stores and I'm not sure about their variety, should I wait for flowering? Is that the only way?

Sorry about my bad English #-o
Last edited by Edspt on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Edspt

Re: Newbie: Help with my Lophophoras!

Post by Edspt »

You can visualize the purple bottom and squishy zone better with these photos :

5.jpg
5.jpg (53.47 KiB) Viewed 660 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (55.89 KiB) Viewed 660 times
keith

Re: Newbie: Help with my Lophophoras!

Post by keith »

The purple color IDK what that is but I think your plant is OK. these are soft bodied plants and scar easy and don't need much water I would use a thick layer of small rocks around the purple spot to keep it dry.