Asclepiad seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
kak tus

Asclepiad seeds

Post by kak tus »

Anyone knows a reliable source of Asclepiad (Stapelia, Orbea, Huernia, etc.) seeds?

From my limited research, It seems that they are somewhat scarce compared to other succulent seeds and, when available, generally more expensive. Does anyone know if this is due to difficulty in cultivation of Asclepiads or just high demand?
stupidlazydog

Re: Asclepiad seeds

Post by stupidlazydog »

I've gotten Pseudolithos seeds from Koehres-Kaktus. I imagine they have other Asclepiads as well. Also Mesa Gardens, but I think they're out of most now.
7george

Post by 7george »

No, Asclepiads are easy in culture and also easy to propagate by cuttings without sawing. I think seed producing is harder for those and requires insect pollination. That is why seeds are expensive.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

7george wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:48 am No, Asclepiads are easy in culture and also easy to propagate by cuttings without sawing. I think seed producing is harder for those and requires insect pollination. That is why seeds are expensive.
Ah, no wonder then. I assumed that they can be easily hand pollinated but from what I just researched it seems you need a microscope to do so.

stupidlazydog wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm I've gotten Pseudolithos seeds from Koehres-Kaktus. I imagine they have other Asclepiads as well. Also Mesa Gardens, but I think they're out of most now.
Thanks for the tip!
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

It can be done by hand, though a hand lens is probably necessary unless you are as short-sighted as I am.

The best guide is probably this one:
http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/pollin.html
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

One Windowsill wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:51 pm It can be done by hand, though a hand lens is probably necessary unless you are as short-sighted as I am.

The best guide is probably this one:
http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/pollin.html
Useful, thanks!
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

I got ten Raphionacme seeds from an Italian seller, botanical-archive on Ebay. Two have germinated already in less than three weeks.

They seem to list a lot of asclepiad seeds regularly, though nothing new since the 10th of August. You can arrange the "Items for sale" list for "Newly listed" and it gives you all the latest with the date they were listed. That way you can get the freshest seed.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/botanical-archive
Maddiesicky

Post by Maddiesicky »

stupidlazydog wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm I've gotten Pseudolithos seeds from Koehres-Kaktus. I imagine they have other Asclepiads as well. Also Mesa Gardens, but I think they're out of most now.
Yes they ran out :(
Maddiesicky

Post by Maddiesicky »

One Windowsill wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:18 pm I got ten Raphionacme seeds from an Italian seller, botanical-archive on Ebay. Two have germinated already in less than three weeks.

They seem to list a lot of asclepiad seeds regularly, though nothing new since the 10th of August. You can arrange the "Items for sale" list for "Newly listed" and it gives you all the latest with the date they were listed. That way you can get the freshest seed.

Have you sown your Raphionacme seeds yet? If so how are they doing? Raphionacme is so cool to me.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

I have had five Raphionacme germinate out of the ten seeds. I think that is all that I am going to get now. They are growing, very slowly. I am not quite sure how much food to give them. One sprouted upside down so I know they have virtually no root.

Botanical Archive on ebay still has some Raphionacme angolensis seeds, listed on August 10th. Is it worth it to you risking $10 + shipping to find out if that is too old? If you look at the rest of their range, it helps to know that "semi" is Italian for seeds. It does not get automatically translated.
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

One Windowsill wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:18 pm I got ten Raphionacme seeds from an Italian seller, botanical-archive on Ebay. Two have germinated already in less than three weeks.

Just read this thread again and yes I did actually buy Stapelia, Orbea, Hoodia, Duvalia seeds from them that I've just recently sowed. Some have now started to germinate.