They're So Big! Now What?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
NoddaProbBob

They're So Big! Now What?

Post by NoddaProbBob »

http://imgur.com/a/zZ12WIe

Hi!
I planted some seeds back in mid March 2020. They've grown beautifully! I am in the Midwest (USA). These have mostly stayed inside with the lid on. I only started to remove the lid periodically within the last month or so. I have had them outside a handful of times in about 80ish degree weather just for more warmth, but never in the sun. Always in the shade. I just put them in a windowsill today to see how they'd do.
The longer stocks are Prickly Pear Cacti that were sent to me from Arizona.
The rest are a random mix of about 8 different species. Store bought.
I'm wondering what to do now. Do I leave them for a while longer still? They appear health. But I'm also curious if it's ok that some of the roots are showing. If you click on the link and zoom in, you should be able to see some of them. Not sure if that's normal or not.
I'm super invested and just want to see them thrive!

Grateful for any advice!
esp_imaging

Re: They're So Big! Now What?

Post by esp_imaging »

They look good up to now, especially if it's your first try with cacti from seed.
They now need to be exposed to more light, although they aren't ready for full sun yet.
They exception to this is the Opuntias - these could probably cope with direct morning sun, or diffused / part shaded sun all day.
Adjust them over a week or so to increased light.
It can be a tricky balance between keeping them moist enough to keep growing and not having them too wet, so they die from rot or fungal infection, but if you keep on as you are doing with increased light and increasing ventilation they should keep progressing.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti