Trying to grow Fraileas from seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
fernand0

Trying to grow Fraileas from seeds

Post by fernand0 »

Hello, (Updated, the picures were not showing)

some weeks a go we bought a Frailea which had some pups and also fruits. We extracted some seeds and we decided to give them a try. Everything seems to be ok, but any advise would be appreciated.

Last week picture:

And now, the whole process.

Week -1 (the seeds).

Day -1. Some water to start the process.

Day 0. The container. There is a second one, which has not been so succesful.

First week. The seeds seem to be active.

Third week. Some of the plants are becoming green.

Sixth week. Some thorns are showing.

Let's give them some more space: we have moved some that were too close to others.

They are always plastic-coverd (like in the second picture). I open them on Saturdays to check if everything is ok.

The mother plant (which now is not very well, not sure if it is the heat, or something different.

Last edited by fernand0 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Zaragoza, Spain
Jangaudi

Re: Trying to grow Fraileas from seeds

Post by Jangaudi »

Seems to go fine up till now, but next time I'd sift the soil into smaller bits. Also I'd add some pumice/coarse sand/perlite or the likes, as the soil seems very organic, like pure compost or so, and I think the roots will have trouble getting through. A top layer of fine pumice/coarse sand can also be helpful to avoid mold. And, as you're opening up the seed tray, I'd be carefull not to let the soil sit very wet for a long time, best let it dry out a bit before watering again.
fernand0

Post by fernand0 »

Thanks. I'll take this into account next time. I was not very convinced about the experiment, so I did this in a very casual way, with the things I had at home.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

The mother plants can probaly take a lot of water in the summer, if you are in inland spain. Water it thoroughly then allow it to dry before watering again.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
fernand0

Post by fernand0 »

Yes, we are in inland Spain (North, but these days are being very hot). Hope we can still recover them because they are in bad mood. Thank you for your advice.