Is Koehres open?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Is Koehres open?

Post by Shane »

I'm wondering if anybody knows the status of Koehres Kakteen. I ordered some seeds from them in March or April and have yet to hear anything. I understand European seed sellers aren't the fastest at fulfilling orders, but it's been what 4 or 5 months and I wonder if they've closed for the pandemic
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Fatich

Re: Is Koehres open?

Post by Fatich »

I ve checked their instagram account, they posted 1 day ago. Maybe try to contact via instagram.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Last actualization 07.08.2020. Maybe you weould like to buzz them via Instagram or mail. Maybe they displaced your order while corona panic in march and april?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

They usually are relatively fast. I would think within a week you should have heard back. For some reason your order slipped through their attention, or has been a victim of a technical error of a server or software.
teo

Post by teo »

You get an email order confirmation within a day (or two) after ordering (from the website)
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Mail send by billing systems <info@kaktus-koehres.de>
Subject: Your order Nr:59726 / Thursday, 21. May 2020

Then you (normally) get an invoice (by mail) the next day w. amounts & payment details

After that the package w. seeds will arrive in about a week (within EU - I guess a bit longer to USA)
Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I emailed them, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon

Shane

Post by Shane »

I emailed them and they told me they're closed for the pandemic. No word of when they will reopen

teo

Post by teo »

OK - a bit strange though - my last order (normal handling) was in May and the website doesn't say anything about that (on frontpage: Last actualization
10.08.2020)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I have 3 outstanding orders with them. First they told me they could not send due to Covid. They told they would send ''when they could''. I have not heard anything since. I ordered (and payed) in May and June........
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Strange.
Planes are flying, trains are running, packages are being delivered around the world although maybe not at the exact same speed or numbers up to February this year.

And it is not that Germans are locked inside and can't go to the post office as some countries had, such as Portugal, Spain, Italy and France for as far as I can tell. Even then I got my package with seeds from ADBLPS in France during the (first...?) peak on Europe of Covid-19.

I have send a few envelopes with seeds outside Europe that for as far as I can tell have made it across in not much more time than they normally should have taken.
Last edited by Aiko on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Shane wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 am I emailed them and they told me they're closed for the pandemic. No word of when they will reopen
I emailed them today, asking if they are shipping orders to the UK at present.
i got a reply within a few minutes:

"Hi Ed
no problems within Europa
Besuchen Sie unsere Webseite: www.koehres-kaktus.de"

So maybe their limitations are more to do with shipping / customs etc outside Europe than than the Koehres operation itself.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

On a different note, how many seeds per packet do people tend to get with koehres? I often want about 30 seeds; with some suppliers, a packet of "20 seeds" often contain 30 or more, others are more accurate with matching seed quantity supplied with the listed packet size.
Based in the UK
teo

Post by teo »

In the cases where I checked (not when seeds are very small) the number seem to be what is stated (Portion = 10 seeds). For many/some there are also 100 available
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

teo wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:40 am In the cases where I checked (not when seeds are very small) the number seem to be what is stated (Portion = 10 seeds). For many/some there are also 100 available
OK, thanks. I'll bear that in mind. I find 10 seeds is often too few, but 100 is too many.
Based in the UK
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Most European seedsmen work on portions of 5 or 10 seeds depending on rarity and for those wanting more commercial quantities 100 seeds if available depending on rarity. Genuine commercial firms and nurserymen can often get larger quantities of some of the rarer seeds, but they are required to take a certain amount of commoner species to get them.

If some amateurs order only the few rare seeds whilst others put in an order for more plentiful seed plus some rarer ones you can work out yourselves if there are few of the rarer ones which customer will get them. The others will be told that species is sold out. That after all is good business practice to look after your best customers first. The rare seeds are often in short supply so putting them on the list encourages people to put an order in even if they are sold out almost immediately. Therefore it pays to order the moment a seed list is published for the rarities and not wait a few days before ordering.

I knew a Continental seedsman years ago, long before online lists and email ordering and he told me he received over 60 orders, some pretty large, by return of post after his list was sent out, therefore the slow off the mark loose out. You can usually take it that most rare seeds will be sold out within a week of the seed list first appearing, that is if they are not priced so highly that only the most spendthrift will buy them, or those who can raise a couple, graft them and flower to produce more seed, or behead them and graft the offsets in order to quickly get their seed cost back and make a significant profit.