Is it too late to repot?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
From0to10in2weeks

Is it too late to repot?

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

Hi,

I have a Gymnocalycium baldianum that has been producing flowers since I bought it in June. Hence, I didn't repot it and it's still in the original soil. But roots are coming out from the bottom suggesting it needs a bigger pot.

I read in some book that it's better to not do any repotting anymore in order to get them ready for winter. Do you agree with that?

Thanks. Best.
esp_imaging

Re: Is it too late to repot?

Post by esp_imaging »

From0to10in2weeks wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 am
I read in some book that it's better to not do any repotting anymore in order to get them ready for winter. Do you agree with that?
Not totally, I wouldn't worry too much.

I like to do a lot of my repotting in spring before growth starts, but don't worry too much if I do some plants at other times of the year.
With a healthy, easy to grow species, you should be able to repot now, give it a "rest" for a few days or a week after repotting, and get a few more weeks growth / watering in before the cool weather of autumn.
In winter, if you aren't watering, it means that the roots don't grow into the new compost, and plants may be more susceptible to rot from root damage, so it may be true that it's the worst time of year for repotting.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
From0to10in2weeks

esp_imaging wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:04 pm
From0to10in2weeks wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 am
Not totally, I wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can even repot in Autumn after the cacti have gone dormant - you simply don't water them until Spring.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

It is never too late or too early to repot. I often do this in August if the plant will do some growth during next (two) months. Even just roots recovery till next spring is fine. Sometimes plants given me this time stay bare-rooted till next season and that is OK too.

But if you see some buds, flowers or other active growth to be interrupted by re-potting better delay this till November, winter or spring.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
From0to10in2weeks

greenknight wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:28 am You can even repot in Autumn after the cacti have gone dormant - you simply don't water them until Spring.
Thanks for the insight.
From0to10in2weeks

7george wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:39 pm It is never too late or too early to repot. I often do this in August if the plant will do some growth during next (two) months. Even just roots recovery till next spring is fine. Sometimes plants given me this time stay bare-rooted till next season and that is OK too.

But if you see some buds, flowers or other active growth to be interrupted by re-potting better delay this till November, winter or spring.
Thanks. It still has a tiny bud but it's been there for almost a month now without any growth. And the flower which finally blossomed this week also needed much longer than in June and July. So, I think it's done. Best.