one baby cactus so much bigger?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
7george

Re: one baby cactus so much bigger?

Post by 7george »

Conditions always match the abilities and requirements of one size group seedlings, others feel suppressed. If you leave those for 20 years in that pot only one will survive. Fast growing seedlings sometimes have to be thinned several times a year to avoid competition and killing the weaker ones.

Echinofossulocactus dichroacanthus from 1 seed portion - photo from last year.

Some of them after transplanting (into 3 pots), this summer.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
luvcactus

Post by luvcactus »

Your seedlings are so beautiful!!!
my 9 ones stopped growing, all of them. I do not know why :( what can I do to make them be growing again? they were doing good in the new container with lots more space and now all of a sudden a month ago they stopped the the new spines on the top dried up dormant. nothing new. they are indoors in the same place getting same water and light. what am I doing wrong? they are 10 months old.
7george

Post by 7george »

Cacti often can feel the seasons. Where do you live? What the temps are in your propagator?
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
luvcactus

Post by luvcactus »

I'm in northeast USA, zone 5 or 6. I keep my grow room heated year round though and lit by a bunch of grow lights, it is a tiny little room in my house. I have a heater on the same timer as the lights so it warms up into the 80s during the day and drops some at night after it shuts off.
7george

Post by 7george »

Saguaros are heat lovers but I wouldn't worry if they get asleep till the spring. I never tried keeping those in constant growth but maybe maximum temps ~100+ F that is summer like in their habitat would be needed.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
luvcactus

Post by luvcactus »

but they got asleep already a while ago. They were doing well and just stopped near the end of September even though they are in a grow room full of lights and kept in the 80s. I never asked for constant growth but just growth during the growth season would sure be nice...same like what with my others. for seedlings, growth throughout the first couple years would be great since they can't flower yet anyway. The ones that get bigger I usually put them into my greenhouse in the spring.
7george

Post by 7george »

Maybe they also need some time after re-potting to establish new roots, this often happens with newly transplanted cacti before they continue their terminal stem growth.
In some ~50 years or so saguaros will start growing much faster and then you will start thinking how to slow down their growth or to get rid of them if you haven't moved to the South until that time. 8) So I am always careful with the plants species I keep in my collection.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
luvcactus

Post by luvcactus »

Don't worry. In 50 years I will be dead. I will find a way to move them south before that!

They were growing really well in the new bigger container (it's more like a wide bowl or dish than a pot kinda) then just suddenly stopped. I have started to water them more now because maybe that's the reason. These 9 have still not begun to grow again yet. But I think a few other seedlings I have MIGHT be growing more...I don't know, it is hard to tell yet but they do look good! I am just watching to see.
luvcactus

Post by luvcactus »

Update: tried new fertiliser almost 2 weeks ago and still not growing. A couple of other plants in the grow room (where they are at) are growing and I keep that grow room warm and lit by strong grow lights all year. It is where my seedlings and baby plants stay.