How to care for seedlings after the Baggy method?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mas_

How to care for seedlings after the Baggy method?

Post by Mas_ »

Hi all,
Apologies if this is a repetitive question but I've searched high and low for answers to my specific questions and haven'y been able to find any. My seedlings are coming up to a year of being sown via the baggy method. Im looking to take them out the bag but was wondering about how to go about it. I know that they should be taken out gradually, but how often should I water once there out the bag? How much sun should they be getting? when would i start treating them like normal cacti? Also how would I go about repotting- is it even necessary if the seedlings seem to be doing fine?
thanks
Aloinopsis

Re: How to care for seedlings after the Baggy method?

Post by Aloinopsis »

They should not be taken out gradually. This allows fungal spores to take hold.

I take mine out all at once and let them dry like adult plants. After they are dry, I began watering them every 10 to 20 days depending upon their size and the time of year. When you take them out of humidity comment they are almost ready to be treated like adult plants.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

I do the same method what Aloinopsis explained or open the bag and i leave them 2-3 days and than take them out of the bag completely.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Mas_ wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:08 pm how often should I water once there out the bag? How much sun should they be getting?
Water them when they need watering. If it's warm and bright, they will thrive best if not allowed to stay totally dry for very long. For my very small containers, watering may be every 2-3 days in summer if it's hot. Other growers / species / conditions / soil mixes / pot sizes etc may need different treatment.

Generally I am happy to accustom them over a week or 2 to their adult situation once they are 6 months or more old.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Thank you everyone, you've been very informative and helpful!