How to store Seeds?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mikethecactusguy

How to store Seeds?

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I decided to harvest seed pods this year. How to I store the seeds safely for the next 8 months?
Thanks
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
x_101

Re: How to store Seeds?

Post by x_101 »

I guess you're not looking for a basic answer as a dry and cool place.
I kept some seeds for a few months in the fridge (~4C) in small paper bags within a cardboard box. I guess you have to be careful when you're collecting seeds from your own cacti, as you want them to be dry before storing. Moist seeds in the fridge are free real estate for mold.
mikethecactusguy

I was looking for a serious answer. I have 5 plants that were pollinated this year and they produced seeds.
I know they need to be dry. duhhh. But what do you store them in. Paper Bag, Plastic Bag, container with lid.
Thank you
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I don't think it matters much. I keep my seeds in plastic containers, and keep them in an unheated room all year. The seeds germinate fine.
mikethecactusguy

Thank you Aiko.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
7george

Post by 7george »

Fridge or cool place in the house work well. Most times stored in closed plastic or glass containers but small piper bags also sometimes. I never had problem with moisture at home. Seeds have to be sterilized before sowing anyway. If I lived in California I'd sow cacti seeds starting from late winter or early spring but this depends on the species: real heat lovers like Ferocactus or Mammillaria would germinate better in the summer if you don't have a propagator with controlled conditions and will do that outdoors. What are the species you harvested if not a secret?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8