when to reduce watering/humidity for seedlings

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
trashcanteoh

when to reduce watering/humidity for seedlings

Post by trashcanteoh »

i have a bunch of nananthus seeds that are about a month old. I'm not sure when to reduce the watering and humidity.
i was told that 4 months was when i could take it out of the zip lock bag and reduce watering, but by how much?
Attachments
1 month old seedlings.
1 month old seedlings.
index 39.jpg (118.46 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
-j3det30h-
greenknight

Re: when to reduce watering/humidity for seedlings

Post by greenknight »

Mesembs are not like cacti, they mostly don't need or like high humidity in the seedling stage, it makes them grow weak, spindly stems. What they need is good air circulation, they should come out of the baggie as soon as they're well up. Take them out now.

Lithops are the exception, they will be happy in the baggie for months - but they won't put out their first true leaves until they're allowed to dry out.

I have no experience growing them in a tropical climate, but we have one member who has been doing so successfully. You should consult his thread on the subject: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=38276
Spence :mrgreen:
trashcanteoh

Re: when to reduce watering/humidity for seedlings

Post by trashcanteoh »

greenknight wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:36 am Mesembs are not like cacti, they mostly don't need or like high humidity in the seedling stage, it makes them grow weak, spindly stems. What they need is good air circulation, they should come out of the baggie as soon as they're well up. Take them out now.

Lithops are the exception, they will be happy in the baggie for months - but they won't put out their first true leaves until they're allowed to dry out.

I have no experience growing them in a tropical climate, but we have one member who has been doing so successfully. You should consult his thread on the subject: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=38276
thank you so much!, Ive noticed that their stems were slightly elongated and out of the soil which caused some concerns. Now that i know why i will quickly take them out. also thank you for giving me the link!

-jude
-j3det30h-