Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
peter

Seedlings

Post by peter »

My kindergarten today.
Ortegocactus macdougallii seedlings, eleven month old!

peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Beautifully done! I noticed with some amazement in The Cactus Family by Anderson that Ortegocactus is perhaps most closely related to Escobaria. Wild.

peterb
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

They're starting to look like cacti!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Very nice Peter!
They look like they're all being good!
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Peter,
your cactus children look nice and healthy. One question comes to mind: What are you going to do with all these plants when they grow up? Not knowing what to do with possibly hundreds of additional cacti has thus far kept me from even trying to grow these plants from seed. With my rudimentary care only a few seeds would actually sprout, but I would not even know where I could place them. Even now some will have to make room, when others grow too big.

Harald
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, those are pretty special. Haven't tried Ortegocactus from seed but I think I will.

Harald, I mostly try to sow only ten or twenty seeds, with the plant to end up with two or three mature plants. I often have more, sometimes a lot more! I swap them with other growers who have the same problem, donate them to my cactus society annual sale, put them on eBay, or just give them away. I hate to just kill them, but its always an option :x
--ian
peter

Post by peter »

hegar wrote:...What are you going to do with all these plants when they grow up? Not knowing what to do with possibly hundreds of additional cacti has thus far kept me from even trying to grow these plants from seed...
Hello Harald
Let me think about this circumstance #-o
OK I think Ian has the right answer and fortunately the Ortegocactus isn't a big plant. Maybe someday I will sell my cacti ;)
Happy growing!
cactusdan19

Post by cactusdan19 »

Those Ortegocactus look great Peter,
Mine are just starting up.
Daniel Rhoads
Lincoln, NE USDA Zone 5b
http://community.webshots.com/user/cactusdan19
peter

Post by peter »

Hi cactusdan
I have seen your seedling collection, very impressive! :D

Best regards
cactusdan19

Post by cactusdan19 »

Thanks Peter,
It's not all of them yet. I take pics when the plant does something really neat or someone asks about it, then post pics. I need to get more pictures and post them. I'm still in the process of taking them outdoors, it takes about 6 weeks to get everything out. I put them under 50% shade cloth for a week to acclimate then out in full sun, this takes some time.
Daniel Rhoads
Lincoln, NE USDA Zone 5b
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Dan,

How do you deal with the normal late spring -early summer rains? May-June, as I recall, is about the wettest time with late afternoon, heavy showers the norm.

Plants, seedlings under glass/plastic or ??

Or is it a problem at all?

Cheers, GeneS
Who's family is from Plymouth where my grandfather's and great grandfather's homes still stand and are occupied!
cactusdan19

Post by cactusdan19 »

We get more rain in April-May, my plants just start to go out in early May. I have enough cover on my staging that if I get alot of rain, I can cover them with roll plastic. I also use a really mineral mix so it drains pretty well. I am losing my M. saboae currently because of the week of rain we had last week (5+ inches). Most do all right with the rain we get. I have more of a problem with the late summer early fall rains we get in September as the plants are starting to go dormant and I'm getting ready to move them indoors.
Daniel Rhoads
Lincoln, NE USDA Zone 5b
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

Hi Dan,

I do about the same thing. The one thing I do - that I was taught as a REAL young'un - is that I have built big square elevated beds out of 2x12's - with slatting on the bottom. I fill these with Peat Moss - yes - the dreade peat moss. Then, I embed my clay pots in the Peat. It serves to absorb the water during wet sppells - then release it back into the clay during dry spells. Keeps me from having to cover everything but the most well-draining of plants.

BTW - everybody is doing very nicely
iann

Post by iann »

You can do a similar thing with sand, its a standard way of growing difficult alpines that can't stand being wet but don't like being completely dry either.

Not so good for adult cacti though, most are much happier being completely dry most of the time and then wet for short periods.
--ian