How long do albinos tipically survive?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
SomePoorPereskiopsis

How long do albinos tipically survive?

Post by SomePoorPereskiopsis »

Hey everyone! I got my hands on a Mammillaria Karwinskiana fruit recently and planted them, turns out I got an albino seedling in there! It's only two days old since it sprouted later than it's siblings, but I'm planning on grafting it.

In my experience, larger scions tend to graft easier than smaller ones, so I wanted to wait a bit until it grows bigger, but albinos die because of their lack of chlorophyll. The question is how long do they take to live? One source I found says they live up to a week, while another said they could live multiple weeks and even a few months.

Here's a pic of the seedling, as you can see it's pretty small: https://imgur.com/a/jxMUiZh
Shane

Re: How long do albinos tipically survive?

Post by Shane »

I think it depends on the species. If I had to guess, seed size plays a pretty big role. Since albinos can't make their own food, they only grow until they run out of energy stored in the seed. Yours is already quite a bit smaller than its green brethren, it's probably stopped growing
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
SomePoorPereskiopsis

Thanks, that's a good observation. It did grow a little bit more than the picture but it hasn't grown a lot more. I'll be attempting the graft tonight after work, hopefully it'll take, I haven't grafted something this small yet.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

They often seem to survive for quite a while, without getting bigger.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
SomePoorPereskiopsis

It looks like the cutting took, but I gave it too much humidity and began to rot, and eventually dried out and died :(

Oh well, better luck next time.