Messed up while transplanting my seedlings:(

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mas_

Messed up while transplanting my seedlings:(

Post by Mas_ »

I was transplanting my year old rebutia plants which I had grown from seed but since they were so top heavy, two of them snapped in half from the weakest point #-o ](*,). I now have two halves- one still in in the soil, and the other half (which made up most of the plant) which has been detached from the roots. Any idea how I can salvage them? should I just leave the bottom half in the soil since it still has roots? Should I let the detached part callous over and then plant it? they are year old and so are quite big and i'm hoping they should be fine. Please help!
Aiko

Re: Messed up while transplanting my seedlings:(

Post by Aiko »

Mas_ wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:45 pm should I just leave the bottom half in the soil since it still has roots? Should I let the detached part callous over and then plant it?
Yes. And yes.
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Aiko wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:47 pm
Mas_ wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:45 pm should I just leave the bottom half in the soil since it still has roots? Should I let the detached part callous over and then plant it?
Yes. And yes.
Thank you! How long should I let them callous over and should they be in the sun while they callous over?
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

As long as it takes....a week or thereabouts...depending on the humidity and air flow. Medium Temps, airy, dry, lay it on its side. Watch and wait for it to skin over nicely. Not in the sun, no. I put mine under a grow light in the laundry room. Potted and now rooted. First attempt successful.

Good luck

Steve
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Steve-0 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:00 pm As long as it takes....a week or thereabouts...depending on the humidity and air flow. Medium Temps, airy, dry, lay it on its side. Watch and wait for it to skin over nicely. Not in the sun, no. I put mine under a grow light in the laundry room. Potted and now rooted. First attempt successful.

Good luck

Steve
Thank you!