Moving agave into shallow planter

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cacthis

Moving agave into shallow planter

Post by cacthis »

Currently I have an agave parryi sitting in deep regular garden pot. The leaves spread is now wider than the pot, so watering becomes quite difficult. I want to move it to wider planter, with the new planter is about half the height of current pot. Would you say it is a good idea? I assume xeric plants have root system that spread sideway instead of downward. I worry that using regular deep pot will eventually lead to root rot.
esp_imaging

Re: Moving agave into shallow planter

Post by esp_imaging »

Yes, a wide planter is sensible for Agaves as they get larger. Agave roots will go wherever they can!
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
cacthis

Post by cacthis »

Thanks!
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

I'm NOT an expert, just a hobbyist grower, but I would say that a pot that is only half as deep as the current one is probably not ideal. In my experience agave are very hearty and actually tolerant of less than ideal drainage, but I have shocked them by mangling the roots during transplanting, which stunts their growth until they get comfortable again. A wider pot is appropriate, but my personal advice would be to try to find something that is of equal depth to the current pot or at least deep enough that you can avoid having to mess with existing roots too much. I'm not sure where you are located, but mine get a lot of rain and humidity, along with a lot of light and heat, and they are way less fragile when it comes to wet soil than my cacti.

I hope that's a bit helpful!