Adenium and Lithops first winter

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
mordecai

Adenium and Lithops first winter

Post by mordecai »

Hello,
I have several Adeniums and Lithops seedlings from this year's spring. I was wondering what care they need during their first winter. I did not find any relevant information about winter care for young plants. Should I treat them the same way I care for older plants, or do they have some special needs to survive their first winter? (Some lithops did not develop true leaves yet, some did.)
Thank you.
bbarv

Re: Adenium and Lithops first winter

Post by bbarv »

Lithops seedlings need some water for the first winter.
No experience with Adenium.
MBM7

Post by MBM7 »

Hello Mordecai,

I'm not an expert, but I also have Lithops seedlings I sowed back in March and April. The normal advice regarding the lithops seedlings is to keep watering them throughout their first year of life, so yes, keep watering them throughout the winter. This is different to adult plants where you definitely want to stop watering them over the winter months so that they can develop their new leaves for the coming spring. You do however want to progressively reduce the frequency of waterings for the seedlings to something like the following:

5 month old - 1 watering every 5 days
6 month old - 1 watering every 6 days
7 month old - 1 watering every 7 days
etc.

The only other advice I have is try to water during the morning so the roots do not stay cold and wet, although this might not be as much of a problem if you have them indoors.
mordecai

Post by mordecai »

Thank you both. I have similar watering schedule, so far the seedlings are doing great, I just wasn't sure about winter.