My GreenHouse Build.

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
mikethecactusguy

My GreenHouse Build.

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi All.
I just moved 3 weeks ago from Beverly Hills Ca to Indio Ca. Just east of Palm Springs. 110 degree heat and 30 degree winter nights. Having a greenhouse has been a dream for years. Where I lived in BH there was no space to set one up. So when we were looking for a new house, number #1 on my list was space for a decent size greenhouse.
I need to emphasize that depending on your location there may be rules, building codes and HOA regulations that cover greenhouse construction.
I made the mistake of thinking my Greenhouse would look so much nicer than a large RV I did not check before ordering my kit. It was a very unpleasant surprise when I found out the City of Indio had building codes and that my HOA Architectural committee had it's own rules.
I got lucky. When I called the Building Dept/Planning it was surprising to hear I was the first person to call and ask about erecting a Greenhouse. The same was true when I spoke to the V.P. of my HOA.
So armed with a scaled site plan, a picture of the Greenhouse, the instructions, a Google Sat. picture and my HOA rules I meet with a city planner and building inspector. The size I chose just meet the rules for no permit. I was not adding electricity or water. I wanted to place the structure on the side of my house where RV parking was located. The Planner said no, but approved my second location in my backyard. The Building inspector was impressed with the kit quality.
Armed with a stamped and approved site map, I only have to be nice to my HOA and pay the $50 architectural review fee.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
mikethecactusguy

Re: My GreenHouse Build.

So how did I choose the kit I finally settled on. Before moving i spent a few weeks researching all the different kits that were available. Wood, Aluminum, Steel and fiberglass. Then came Glass, Polycarbonate or plastic sheeting. Type and shape of the structure. Finally,wife appeal and approval.
After looking at everything I initially chose a traditional wood kit with 6mm polycarbonate inserts for the roof and a combination wood and 4mm polycarbonate side panels. The wife liked the look and was hesitant but finally approved the cost.
I was ready to pull the trigger and as I was exploring one night I found a kit company I had not seen before. Aluminum Structure, 10mm polycarbonate roof and walls. Roof vents and a side vent. The reviews are excellent. The cost fell right into the budget the wife originally approved.
I settled on The Palram Glory Greenhouse kit. 8ft x 12ft with a 8ft tall peak.
Palram_Greenhouses_Glory_8x12_CutOut.jpg
Palram_Greenhouses_Glory_8x12_CutOut.jpg (77.89 KiB) Viewed 19598 times
I ordered an addition louvered vent that I will place high on the back wall. I'll also add a Solar powered fan to help circulate the air.
It was supposed to ship last Friday, Oct 2nd. It did not. I waited until 4pm and started to message with Amazon Heavy Shipping. I found out that during final inspections of my kit, damage was found. A new kit was being sourced and it should ship in 3 to 4 days. An actual update would have been nice.
Nothing heard by Monday Oct 5th so another round with Amazon Heavy Shipping and the representative said they would escalate the case.
It was a nice surprise to receive a text Tuesday morning that my credit card had been charged and that was followed by a email from Amazon the kit had shipped. And this morning, wednesday I received an email from the shipping company that I should get kit by next Monday, Oct 12th. Yes!!
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
mikethecactusguy

This where I had hopped to erect the kit
PXL_20201008_000804004-001.jpg
PXL_20201008_000804004-001.jpg (134.3 KiB) Viewed 19596 times
PXL_20201008_000811404-001.jpg
PXL_20201008_000811404-001.jpg (130.73 KiB) Viewed 19596 times
It fit correctly in the space. Proper setbacks from the wall and the house. City Planning said no. No structures allowed on the side of the house. I could try for a variance, but it was not worth the trouble.
This is were it was approved.
PXL_20201008_000830434-001.jpg
PXL_20201008_000830434-001.jpg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 19596 times
PXL_20201008_000837533-001.jpg
PXL_20201008_000837533-001.jpg (182.25 KiB) Viewed 19596 times
PXL_20201008_000901744-001.jpg
PXL_20201008_000901744-001.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 19596 times
The small palm tree, the large bush/tree and the 2 smaller bushes will go. The large Palm will provide some shade once in a while.
The building inspector approved the 4x4 wood frame foundation. I will first put down pea gravel. Bolt the 4 x4's together,level them out so I have a firm level frame. I'm going to drive 24" long x 3/8" rebar through the 4 x4's into the ground to keep them from shifting. The kit comes with its own anchoring system. Its supposed to withstand 80 mile an hour winds. It gets windy in the desert.
I'll fill the frame with more pea gravel flush to the top.
And that is it for pre-planning.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Keep it going, my friend -- we'd love to see more! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Glad you will keep the large palm tree.
Keep sharing.
mikethecactusguy

My Greenhouse has arrived at the local shipping terminal. It's scheduled for a Monday Oct12th Delivery. Lets see what happens.
The city requires a setback from property lines at 5 ft. The 4 x 4 layout is 4 1/2 feet from the walls. I needed to stay as close to the 10 ft distance from the house.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Wonderful Mike,

I'm very curious about how things will continue!
Your plants look good and survived the move well.

Best regards K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
mikethecactusguy

to elaborate.
The corner of the yard where I'm placing the greenhouse is right behind the RV parking fence. That's the fence covered in the green bush's seen at the end of the drive that I was originally wanting to place the structure. The City is "allowing" me to put up the slightly oversize structure. If I keep it the required distance from the corner of the house and almost completely obscured from street view, I will have a lot less trouble from the Home Owners Association (HOA). Since it is in my backyard not my side yard, the HOA has really no control over what I do. And getting approval from the city was my savings grace. Also, not running electricity out to it was a plus in getting the approval.
Now that I have confirmation the Greenhouse is in town, I'm getting excited.

Yes K.W. I only lost a few offshoots. I got smart. I bought 24" x 24" 18" moving boxes. Assembled them and then cut them in half giving me 24" x 24" x 9" tall trays. I then put my plants in those trays. The trays were placed in the bed of my F-150 pickup. The bed has a lift up fiberglass lid which protected them from wind. Any plant between 24" and 36" in height was placed in the crew cab back of the truck. Any larger flat plant was placed in the bed or on the floor and seat in the front. The really tall plants were supported with 4ft long bamboo stakes and wired securely . Then they were kraft paper wrapped and handled and moved my the moving company.
It took 2 trips. LA to Indio. Back to LA and finally back 2 Indio to move all the plants. Around 430 miles in one day. Having been told by a few of the forum members that I would lose a lot of my plants in the move, I was more apprehensive than I should have been. My method worked perfectly.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
mikethecactusguy

So many are probably wondering why I bought a kit instead of building one from scratch. Being a cabinetmaker/Finish carpenter for 44 years I always wanted to build a greenhouse from scratch. The problem, I would be way to strict on myself to cut corners. Redwood or cedar are not cheap. Polycarbonate sheeting is expensive. If I bought it from one of my wholesale suppliers it would have been close to $2000 . Add in that I would not just screw the panels to the frame surface but wanted them to be rabbeted in with glass stop molding. The roof vents would need to be watertight. I had a supplier for Louvered window hardware so sidevents would be easy. I was looking at $4000 plus in materials as well as 80 plus hours just getting it prepared and assembled. I found one company in the Santa Barbara Ca area that built the kits this way. That was the one the wife finally did say to but at $5500.. So when I fell into the Palram Site and saw that the Aluminum Extrusions were designed to have the 10mm panels slide in and seal i was thrilled to get the kit and not design and engineer my own. And at $2900 it was financially the wish choice.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

Your greenhouse project looks like it is doing great. I have a shelter logic style of greenhouse and would love to have a permanent greenhouse to store all of my cacti. Someday i will get one...
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have built greenhouses from redwood, kits and a combination of EMT conduit and wood. The best is built from wood. The kits are what they are. I found the doors to be weak and I still added purlins and straining beams. Kits are quick and more easier, wood or from scratch, gives you pride in your work, and EMT without the correct tool for bending can be difficult. My redwood greenhouse is 8mm poly, kits are 4mm poly and the EMT has 8mm roof and 8mil plastic for the side walls. When I built my redwood greenhouse I compared prices to kit redwood greenhouses and I saved about 25% and built it stronger. Good luck, like to see the pictures as you are going. 8)
mikethecactusguy

Quick update.
I spoke with the shipping company on Friday. I was actually surprised I reached someone at 4:30pm. The person was very helpful. The greenhouse was there and waiting to be transferred to the Delivery Service. I was asked to call back Monday morning to get an update.
I have a gardner coming Tuesday to remove the plants and the grass where the frame lies. I need to order around 2 tons of pea gravel. Pictures of everything will be posted.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:07 pm >>>
<<<

Pictures of everything will be posted.

I ask for it and I am really looking forward to it!!!

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
mikethecactusguy

K.W :D
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Stopped in to see what was happening. Looks like I need to pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Looking forward to your build.