Salt/Calcium Accumulating

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
LawyerNinja

Salt/Calcium Accumulating

Post by LawyerNinja »

Hello All,

I have not had a problem with my cacti growing, but I am wishing to improve my care and perfect their growth rate. I feel the tap water I am using my have have a high calcium (or salt) content.

I have read the pinned post in this forum on testing water alkalinity and have purchased the necessary equipment to begin doing so.

My main question is, when I begin watering with water with a higher alkalinity will this remove the salt/calcium build up that appears on the top of the soil of some of my plants?

Picture below is an example of what the top soil looks like on some of my plants. A white dust, this is ultimately harmful to my plants, yes?

MikeInOz

Re: Salt/Calcium Accumulating

Post by MikeInOz »

Your EC is (0.26) That's the dissolved salt index. Not too bad but could be better. Mine in Melbourne Australia is (0.04)
Ok for horticulture generally expect for sensitive plants. Cacti and succulents are not that sensitive.
You total alkalinity is 63 CaCo3. (calcium carbonate) That's getting up there. I would suggest you check your local water for pH and reduce it to about 6 with citric acid or similar. Also, when you water, water well. Every now and then on a hot windy day, you can flush the pot with about three volumes of the pot worth of water.
The white encrustations will be a mix of various salts including fertilizer added.
https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... SKtpISYQ7M
LawyerNinja

Post by LawyerNinja »

I've got white vinegar, reading that thread it appears to work the same.

I would add a little to my watering can and measure the PH before watering? Aiming for around 6?
Old Lefty

Post by Old Lefty »

I generally use rain water during the growing season.

“Every now and then on a hot windy day, you can flush the pot with about three volumes of the pot worth of water” - MikeInOz.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Spence :mrgreen:
LawyerNinja

Post by LawyerNinja »

I have a de-humidifier in my grow tent... i've just been dumping the water.. welp now I know. Thank you!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

LawyerNinja wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:27 pm
I have a de-humidifier in my grow tent... i've just been dumping the water.. welp now I know. Thank you!
That'll work great. Still need to leach out the soil - not now, but when the plants are ready for a good watering in the spring. Start saving up de-humidifier water.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Salty subject explained.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8