Nice video of Copipoas etc.

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
keith

Nice video of Copipoas etc.

Post by keith »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF6UuKC7k_M About halfway through the video they climb up the mountain to a cactus forest in the fog and have amazing videos of cactus and other plants. Warning a Funny guy but uses extreme language .
mmcavall

Re: Nice video of Copipoas etc.

Post by mmcavall »

keith wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:08 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF6UuKC7k_M About halfway through the video they climb up the mountain to a cactus forest in the fog and have amazing videos of cactus and other plants. Warning a Funny guy but uses extreme language .
Very very cool! Thanks for sharing it!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I am told by Roger Ferryman that area is Morro Moreno, just north of Antofagasta. I did not get that far North only to Botija, but the plants at lower levels were dying out there due to the Camanchaca (fog) gradually moving South and the area becoming dryer. The Copiapoa is Copiapoa atacamensis or as he called it Copiapoa calderana ssp. atacamensis. The Eulychnia is Ritter's Eulychinia saint-pieana with the woolly areoles on new growth.

In the north of Chile the plants at higher altitudes often survive better as the fog rises to a certain height before drifting inland so plants on the top of the hills may be in better condition than those below.

These diagrams show how the level of fog affects where the plants grow.

FOG3.jpg
FOG3.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

These two show the difference that growing in the S. West to S. East facing hillsides at Morro Moreno can make regarding fog.

CERRO-MORENO.jpg
CERRO-MORENO.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

CERRO-MORENNO.jpg
CERRO-MORENNO.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Just had the following from Paul Hoxey:-

"Hello David

Roger is quite correct, that is the Morro Moreno. Ritter named the Eulychnia as morromorenoensis but that is usually considered a synonym of E. iquiquiensis, in which E. saint-pieana is also included.

Paul"
keith

Post by keith »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkt4yAx3GyQ&t=46s

Mexico with geohintonium and aztekium
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I can never understand those looking for cacti in habitat wandering around in shorts or short trousers, Jean's provide far more protection to the legs. Some of those I was with had shorts on and were always removing Tephrocactus from their legs, whereas they only stuck to my jeans and so were easy to remove.

No need anymore to remove those plants from habitat since seed and also plants grown from it are available in Europe. I grew mine from seed when it became available. All you need is patience, something obviously not possessed by those who buy habitat stripped plants. However these days I think most of the habitat stripped plants go to China and Asia who are seemingly much laxer in applying CITES regulations. Countries too that are still doing Ivory Carving so are not too CITES orientated.

Aztekium hintonii

hintonii.jpg
hintonii.jpg (83.62 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

Also I obtained a couple of Geohintonia's from an English chap who now produces his own seed and raises the plants when I lost my original seed grown one.

geohintonia2.jpg
geohintonia2.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

See how to:-

https://living-rocks.com/quail.htm

http://www.living-rocks.com/quail2.htm
keith

Post by keith »

I can never understand those looking for cacti in habitat wandering around in shorts or short trousers"

I always worry about rattle snakes in the brush and don't wear shorts in the desert either. Off the trail looking for cactus never know what you'll step on. Nice geohintonia maybe someday I'll get one IDK still pretty pricey and hard to find. Or seeds I don't anyone sells them in the US ? Maybe Ebay IDK ?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can import seeds from virtually anywhere. Scan the Continentals seed lists for both Geohintonia's and Aztekium's. I am sure some on here can tell you who has these seeds for sale. Most now take PayPal, so no currency changing problems.
keith

Post by keith »

Ok I will check thanks Dave