Caudiforms

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Maddiesicky

Caudiforms

Post by Maddiesicky »

Hello! What are your favorite caudiforms to grow from seed. I havent tried any caudiform seeds yet and wanted to know which ones are relatively easy and if there are any that arent super painfully slow.

Thank you!
One Windowsill

Re: Caudiforms

Post by One Windowsill »

I was growing a Petroselinum crispum subsp. tuberosum for three years in a five inch terracotta pot. The "caudex" got impressively large and gnarly. Very easy until it got some sort of fly in the root that I did not notice until it was too late. As long as you cut the flowers off, it just keeps going.

I was intending to take it to a BCSS show as a joke. It is the tuberous-rooted or Hamburg parsley, eaten like parsnips and very tasty. I would have labelled it, in Latin, of course. I would have referred to it as a Mediterranean caudiciform, if I could have kept a straight face. Parsley is quite resistant to drought, of course.

Talking of gnarly, I saw this newly named species reported recently, something for aspirational advanced gardeners. It has been available in the market for a long time, according to Google Translate:
http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2020/10/st ... sakii.html
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

It's rather hard to get caudiciform seeds I think, except Dioscorea elephantipes, or Avonia, Adansonia, Pachypodium, Adenium, Sinningia, Tylecodon, Bowiea, Dorstenia, Schizobasis intricata. The term caudiciform is used rather widely, with many overlapping plants also that are succulents, or even cacti. The bihrman site is rather extensive, but most of what he lists there is elusive ;)
http://www.bihrmann.com/Caudiciforms/default.asp
Maddiesicky

Post by Maddiesicky »

One Windowsill wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 pm I was growing a Petroselinum crispum subsp. tuberosum for three years in a five inch terracotta pot. The "caudex" got impressively large and gnarly. Very easy until it got some sort of fly in the root that I did not notice until it was too late. As long as you cut the flowers off, it just keeps going.

I was intending to take it to a BCSS show as a joke. It is the tuberous-rooted or Hamburg parsley, eaten like parsnips and very tasty. I would have labelled it, in Latin, of course. I would have referred to it as a Mediterranean caudiciform, if I could have kept a straight face. Parsley is quite resistant to drought, of course.

Talking of gnarly, I saw this newly named species reported recently, something for aspirational advanced gardeners. It has been available in the market for a long time, according to Google Translate:
http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2020/10/st ... sakii.html
Hahaha that would have been awesome you should totally take it :lol: Ill look into that! I would like to try something else besides conophytum and lithop seeds! Stephania Kaweesakii that's weird!
Maddiesicky

Post by Maddiesicky »

Jangaudi wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:06 pm It's rather hard to get caudiciform seeds I think, except Dioscorea elephantipes, or Avonia, Adansonia, Pachypodium, Adenium, Sinningia, Tylecodon, Bowiea, Dorstenia, Schizobasis intricata. The term caudiciform is used rather widely, with many overlapping plants also that are succulents, or even cacti. The bihrman site is rather extensive, but most of what he lists there is elusive ;)
http://www.bihrmann.com/Caudiciforms/default.asp
Wow this site is awesome huge veriety thank you so much! I would be interested in anything caudiforms looking to be honest. Have you tried any of these? All I have experience with seed wise is really lithops and conophytum so im a little intimidated by everything else :lol:
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Maddiesicky wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 pm
Wow this site is awesome huge veriety thank you so much! I would be interested in anything caudiforms looking to be honest. Have you tried any of these? All I have experience with seed wise is really lithops and conophytum so im a little intimidated by everything else :lol:
Hmm, I have some caudiciform seedlings, and some bought plants but I did do a lot of searching for seeds before, and in general I think most respectable seed dealers have a small selection of caudiciform seeds, but usually different from each other, so you can find some stuff, and of course there's .....ebay, which can be expensive and to be handled with caution, or your hobby might turn sour rather quickly. About how to sow and care for them, well...can not say a thing, except that they come in all forms, all around the globe, so same goes for their care. You need to figure it out individually though natural habitat often gives a good hint.