Go to sleep!

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
christ_hears

Go to sleep!

Post by christ_hears »

Aren't Huernia zebrina supposed to have a winter rest? I live in Kansas and it's pretty well winter now, they have been blooming for a good month now! Should I force rest, or just ride it out?
Attachments
20201102_083052.jpg
20201102_083052.jpg (87.61 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
20201102_083111.jpg
20201102_083111.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
"Beauty is often hidden behind a veil of ugly"
mauicacti

Re: Go to sleep!

Post by mauicacti »

I don't know, but I'll be paying attention to this thread. I live where this is no winter, so I'm wondering if I should should force rest as well.
christ_hears

Post by christ_hears »

Are you talking cactus or succulents? I do know about winterizing and its very important for flowering and overall health
"Beauty is often hidden behind a veil of ugly"
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

christ_hears wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:32 pm Are you talking cactus or succulents? I do know about winterizing and its very important for flowering and overall health
This should go into the General-Succulents forum. FYI for our newer members:

A number of our forums are specifically for either cacti or succulents. While some members grow cacti and succulents, most grow either one or the other. If a member is posting in the wrong forum, I'll move it over to the right one. When people need help with their plants, being in the right forum is the best way to get the responses you need.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Many succulents from southern Africa grow strongly in the spring and autumn - in fact some come from areas with dry summers and winter rainfall and are thus winter growers in habitat.
Huernias don't want to be cold in damp in winter, but if it's mild and sunny they will enjoy a bit of water. Just make sure they don't stay damp as your temperatures get much below (say) 10C overnight. The usual "if in doubt, don't water" rule still applies!
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti