Dyna-Gro Protekt any good for cacti?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Mrs.Green

Dyna-Gro Protekt any good for cacti?

Post by Mrs.Green »

https://dyna-gro.com/product/pro-tekt-0-0-3/

Anyone using this for their cacti and other succulents? Or is it a no-go?
Steve Johnson

Re: Dyna-Gro Protekt any good for cacti?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Mrs.Green wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:24 pm https://dyna-gro.com/product/pro-tekt-0-0-3/

No-go, but I highly recommend the Dyna Gro All Pro 7-7-7 or Orchid Pro 7-8-6. All Pro is the only fertilizer I'll use, but pretty expensive since it comes only by the gallon. Orchid Pro is almost as good, coming in smaller and more affordable quantities for people who are on a tight budget or don't have a lot of plants. The Potassium (K) does need to be higher, but both ferts can be supplemented with Potassium sulfate.

The following chemical analyses are the reasons why I consider Dyna Gro to be the "gold standard":
  • 7-7-7
  • 7-8-6
Your cacti won't need to be fertilized while they're in fall/winter dormancy, so no urgency on this. If you plan on using either fert, let me know which one you choose. From there, I'll figure out the proper dilution and how much Potassium sulfate should be added. It's available on Amazon UK, probably on Amazon Germany too, although you may have a more local source. Give me some time to do the math, then I'll give you the numbers, and you'll be ready to start fertilizing your cacti when the growing season begins in spring.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:58 am
Mrs.Green wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:24 pm https://dyna-gro.com/product/pro-tekt-0-0-3/

No-go, but I highly recommend the Dyna Gro All Pro 7-7-7 or Orchid Pro 7-8-6. All Pro is the only fertilizer I'll use, but pretty expensive since it comes only by the gallon. Orchid Pro is almost as good, coming in smaller and more affordable quantities for people who are on a tight budget or don't have a lot of plants. The Potassium (K) does need to be higher, but both ferts can be supplemented with Potassium sulfate.

The following chemical analyses are the reasons why I consider Dyna Gro to be the "gold standard":
  • 7-7-7
  • 7-8-6
Your cacti won't need to be fertilized while they're in fall/winter dormancy, so no urgency on this. If you plan on using either fert, let me know which one you choose. From there, I'll figure out the proper dilution and how much Potassium sulfate should be added. It's available on Amazon UK, probably on Amazon Germany too, although you may have a more local source. Give me some time to do the math, then I'll give you the numbers, and you'll be ready to start fertilizing your cacti when the growing season begins in spring.
Thank you Steve Johnson :) Very helpful reply. I think I will go for the the Orchid Pro, since I know I can get it here and I can use it on my orchids too. No, I wasn’t planning on fertilizing them now, its winter here so no feeding now. I just wanted to be ahead and have it available for the growing season. Very nice of you to be so helpful , thank you :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

That product is meant for hydroponic growing, there's no need for supplementary silicate unless you're doing soil-less growing. It would be a waste of money.
Spence :mrgreen:
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

greenknight wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:40 am That product is meant for hydroponic growing, there's no need for supplementary silicate unless you're doing soil-less growing. It would be a waste of money.
Thank you Greenknight :) No, don’t do soil-less growing. The part that caught my attention, was reading that silicate supplement would make the plants more resistent to bugs.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

greenknight wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:40 am That product is meant for hydroponic growing, there's no need for supplementary silicate unless you're doing soil-less growing. It would be a waste of money.
Do all silica-based soil additives leach soluble silica into the water around the roots?
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

I know this thread is 2 years old, but still would like to know if cacti or succulents would benefit from adding Protekt (silica amendment) if using hydroponics or semi-hydroponics?

Thank you,
OWgave
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I use Dyna-Gro fertilizers. I own a small bottle of Protekt, but never used it in over 10 years. Can't really answer your question OWgave.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.