Potting out dragonfruit seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
tasuccs

Potting out dragonfruit seedlings

Post by tasuccs »

It's getting into winter where I live in coastal Israel and a few weeks ago I decided on a whim to plant some fresh seeds from a red fleshed dragonfruit.

I soaked them for a a couple of days, washed thoroughly and sowed in a clear lidded and punched to-go container with some coco-perlite-based "clean" soil medium enriched with a little vermicompost. I put them outside in 6 hours of filtered sunlight and was amazed to get near 100% germination.

The initial sprouting growth has tapered off and I can see the "mature" growth just starting to form between the leaflets. My question is, now what? They're so top heavy they seem like they'll topple the second there's any significant growth, and I have nothing to graft them onto. Videos on the subject tend to be vague or skip over this part. Should I raise the soil line when I thin and plant out, replant as cuttings, or just have faith that they'll thicken up at the bottom? Is it worth feeding them some vermicompost tea or diluted ferts? They can grow to about an inch/3 cm under the lid before I'm forced to harden them off and consider planting out.
20201119_143225.jpg
20201119_143225.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
mmcavall

Re: Potting out dragonfruit seedlings

Post by mmcavall »

I wouldn't do nothing for a while. They will grow the real growth (beyond the cotyledons). They are crowded but this is not a problem.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

They will not thicken at the base but that's the way they are...just wait and see..no need to raise the soil line.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed, they're doing fine - stick with what's working.
Spence :mrgreen: