Looking for aloe (kumara) plicatilis seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
cacthis

Looking for aloe (kumara) plicatilis seeds

Post by cacthis »

Love it since the first time seeing it online. This plant is not readily available in my country, so I have been trying to find seeds. I managed to find two sellers from Europe, bought from both of them but no luck so far. As tree aloe I believe the plant is able to produce abundant flowers (and seeds), but somehow finding the seeds online is a rare case...

Anyone have them?
Jangaudi

Re: Looking for aloe (kumara) plicatilis seeds

Post by Jangaudi »

cacthis wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 am I managed to find two sellers from Europe, bought from both of them but no luck so far.
What exactly do you mean ? You received those seeds but they didn't sprout ? Or yet ? Aloes are rather fast germinators, so I'm wondering what's going on ;)
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

cacthis wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 am Love it since the first time seeing it online. This plant is not readily available in my country, so I have been trying to find seeds. I managed to find two sellers from Europe, bought from both of them but no luck so far. As tree aloe I believe the plant is able to produce abundant flowers (and seeds), but somehow finding the seeds online is a rare case...

Anyone have them?
It's a bit of a mystery to me too, that seeds are rarely obtainable and / or quite expensive, for such a popular, easy flowered. large Aloe.

I bought some from a Portuguese ebay seller earlier this year - I had good success with their other seeds but the A. plicatilis did nothing. or so I thought. About 10 weeks after sowing I got a cluster of germination, around 20-30%, with several seeds sprouting around the same time. So in my experience it has been slow and erratic compared to other Aloes. Keep faith a little longer, maybe try a bit of wet / dry cycling!
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Jangaudi wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 am
cacthis wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 am I managed to find two sellers from Europe, bought from both of them but no luck so far.
Aloes are rather fast germinators
Agree, most of them are in my experience, but A. plicatilis hasn't been, as mentioned, and A. sakarahensis did nothing for 3 months, then I dried them out and started again and got germination. So there are exceptions, perhaps more so in the "non core" Aloes (e.g. Kumara and Lomatophyllum respectively).
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
cacthis

Post by cacthis »

Jangaudi wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 am
What exactly do you mean ? You received those seeds but they didn't sprout ? Or yet ? Aloes are rather fast germinators, so I'm wondering what's going on ;)
One of them never arrived, and one of them did not sprout. Yes, I do too believe most aloes are easy to germinate.
cacthis

Post by cacthis »

esp_imaging wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:35 am
cacthis wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 am Love it since the first time seeing it online. This plant is not readily available in my country, so I have been trying to find seeds. I managed to find two sellers from Europe, bought from both of them but no luck so far. As tree aloe I believe the plant is able to produce abundant flowers (and seeds), but somehow finding the seeds online is a rare case...

Anyone have them?
It's a bit of a mystery to me too, that seeds are rarely obtainable and / or quite expensive, for such a popular, easy flowered. large Aloe.

I bought some from a Portuguese ebay seller earlier this year - I had good success with their other seeds but the A. plicatilis did nothing. or so I thought. About 10 weeks after sowing I got a cluster of germination, around 20-30%, with several seeds sprouting around the same time. So in my experience it has been slow and erratic compared to other Aloes. Keep faith a little longer, maybe try a bit of wet / dry cycling!

I took out the seeds I have now from the baggy and the seeds were still firm. Currently they are submerged in water. I have great germination with difficult aloe seeds using this method before (leaving them in water until they germinate). Hopefully this method will work for this aloe.