Dennis' cacti collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Happy Grower

Re: Dennis' cacti collection

Post by Happy Grower »

I really loved this, great insight for a newcomer like me so thank you. Fascinating to see the close-up shots
denniscao

Post by denniscao »

Happy Grower wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:26 pm I really loved this, great insight for a newcomer like me so thank you. Fascinating to see the close-up shots
Glad you're enjoying it! Your comment motivates me to post some more photos from today:

Matucana madisoniorum - 1 year. These seem to be growing nicely.

Astrophytum asterias - 1.25 years, sold as "super kabuto" seeds. Only had 4/100 germination on these.

Lobivia pygmae - 1 year

Pachypodium namaquanum - 5 months. I'm not sure if I'm killing them or if dormancy is setting in?

Lithops (or is it Conophytum?) herrei "translucens" - 1.25 year. You can see all the splitting damage from overwatering... and the replacement leaves coming through!

Echinofossulocactus crispatus seedling - 1 year, one of 18 I transplanted into 1/1/1 coir/pumice/decomposed granite mix with some osmocote mixed in. They looked small in the original pot, but also look at home in their own 2-inch pots.

The top of my Crassula Buddha's Temple, and a bunch of rooted props behind it.
EliWhitney3140

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

Wow, beautiful cacti and photos
denniscao

Post by denniscao »

Here's the status of my shelves. I've started working on potting up some seedlings, and now I'm realizing I have no room to start my vegetables, guess I need to get more lights.

Unknown seedling that grew from what was supposed to be a G. mihanovichii packet, but the packet was contaminated with what looks like M. bocasana so another hitchhiker wouldn't be surprising.

Copiapoa grandiflora getting bigger, 1 cm diameter now.

An advantage of growing in the basement is I can wake plants up whenever I want to, either on purpose or accidentally. This is Albuca concordiana waking up after its first dormancy, fun to see the spiral!

Eriosyce laui, no kidding these are weird. 4 months old ish.

Sulcorebutia rauschii, this is Apple Green from CandDplants seeds.

Sulcorebutia rauschii f. violacidermis, seed also from CandDplants.

Variety of echinofossulocactus multicostatus SB1147, fun to see the different spine coloration. Still patiently waiting for ribs to show up.

Haworthia seedlings from Renny seeds. Leaf patterns starting to show up.
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

Nice they all look like there growing really good. If you don’t mind me asking where did you get the pseudolithos seeds from?
denniscao

Post by denniscao »

Vingames1 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:44 pm Nice they all look like there growing really good. If you don’t mind me asking where did you get the pseudolithos seeds from?
There's an active psuedolithos facebook group, and I got my seeds from one of the members, Jorge. He was great to deal with via Facebook messenger, just send him a message and ask if he has seeds available. He recently posted a picture saying he filled an order for a few thousand seeds :shock:
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

denniscao wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 pm
Vingames1 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:44 pm Nice they all look like there growing really good. If you don’t mind me asking where did you get the pseudolithos seeds from?
There's an active psuedolithos facebook group, and I got my seeds from one of the members, Jorge. He was great to deal with via Facebook messenger, just send him a message and ask if he has seeds available. He recently posted a picture saying he filled an order for a few thousand seeds :shock:
Roger thank you
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

your light fixtures look just like mine. Did you get these on Amazon?
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
denniscao

Post by denniscao »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm your light fixtures look just like mine. Did you get these on Amazon?
Yep, I think it is Durolux branded, 2 x 4 ft, although the 2 is a little generous I think.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

yep.
They are like 18" wide the valence.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines