H202 directly on the seedlings?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mmcavall

H202 directly on the seedlings?

Post by mmcavall »

Sorry if I'm asking something is already in the forum, but I couldn't find the specific answer.
I would like to know whether 1% H2O2 is effective against algae or mold that is growing in the sowing pots and almost covering the seedlings. And if I can spray it directly on the seedlings without harming them.
I know that they are not a problem, unless covering the seedlings, which is the case.
I also know that sterilizing the mix before sowing is important.
My method is working well but in the last batch I decided to spray a fertilizer solution over the seedlings, and it seemed to benefit the algae or mold (a brown-black thing) . So now I have to deal with them without killing my seedlings.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Re: H202 directly on the seedlings?

Post by Steve-0 »

I sprayed mine with it a couple of days ago. Seedlings are still alive and growing. I used diluted 3% H2O2 with water about 2 capfuls in half a liter of water. So far the only algae I've seen pops up on the perlite quickly.

check this video out. The guy used straight peroxide to wet his soil mix and start his seeds.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3tLuhnt5i8
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

This is the search on YouTube I used.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +seedlings
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you Steve ! I'll take a look
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

Caveat: I am a newbie at cactus raising from seeds. This month is my first real attempt at the process. I could be doing it all wrong.

However the Sclerocactus are just a few weeks old and now have spines showing @ just over 1 CM.

The other species is Echinocactus Texensis...planted the same day as the Scleros....I think 14 germinated and all are doing well. Like little green pigs. Maybe 5-7 mm tall.

Keeping them warm and moist. So far so good, imo.
Attachments
sclero2.JPG
sclero2.JPG (40.71 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
sclero1.JPG
sclero1.JPG (104.73 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
eTex2.JPG
eTex2.JPG (90.13 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Etex1.JPG
Etex1.JPG (59.5 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Steve-0 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:15 pm I sprayed mine with it a couple of days ago. Seedlings are still alive and growing. I used diluted 3% H2O2 with water about 2 capfuls in half a liter of water. So far the only algae I've seen pops up on the perlite quickly.

check this video out. The guy used straight peroxide to wet his soil mix and start his seeds.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3tLuhnt5i8
It'd not straight peroxide, peroxide antiseptic is only 3% H2O2. Straight hydrogen peroxide is a hazardous material. The highest concentration I could find online is 35%, and it comes with warnings that it will burn your skin, instantly bleach clothing, etc - "always dilute with distilled water before using".

High-test peroxide (85%+) is used as rocket fuel - in contact with a catalyst it flashes into steam as well as releasing oxygen.

For spraying on cactus seedlings and soaking roots, most recommend diluting peroxide antiseptic 50% with water, making it 1.5% H2O2.
Spence :mrgreen:
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

Last edited by Steve-0 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

Correct....I meant he used the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide straight out of the bottle....undiluted with water from the drugstore purchased package.

For those concerned about using rocket fuel on their cacti... :shock: :lol: :wink:

What I've seen in the grocery/pharmacy is in the 1-3% strength range...the rest being water. I gargle with it. Good stuff for germ killing on boo-boos and owies.

Anything over 35% gets DHS involved and I priced 50% grade @ ~$1000.00 for a 4 liter bottle.

85 to 98 % is the rocket propellant and Vernier engine fuel ..only available to qualified purchasers....whoever they are.
astro_ian

Post by astro_ian »

I spray my Astrophytum seedlings with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide straight out of the bottle and then another spray of purified water every week. I don't see any problem and doesn't have any algae building up.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you all.
Thank you astro_ian, so I think I can try it. The H2O2 sold here is "10 volumes", which I just discovered is 3%.
So I would spray it directly from the bottle..
I'll have to try with some seedlings before applying in all of them.
Do you rinse them with purified water just after spraying with H2O2? Or do you let it stay for some days? Not clear for me. Thanks
A1essandro

Post by A1essandro »

I have not big experience with sowing. 2 weeks :D

But I used H2O2 3% just from bottle and seedlings are ok. Seems to me fungi is much more dangerous... Also as I know H2O2 fast decomposes to water and oxygen under light influence.

But anyway... You can try to use pure 3% H2O2 to a few seedlings and monitoring reaction.
Best regards,
Alexander
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Right, no need to rinse it off - as Alexander says, it quickly breaks down into water and oxygen.
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Ok! Thank you all again, very helpful!
keith

Post by keith »

I use 3% hydrogen peroxide right out of the spray bottle on seedlings. Seems to be OK .
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks keith