Fertilizing Inorganic Mix for Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Neiluj

Fertilizing Inorganic Mix for Seedlings

Post by Neiluj »

Hey all,

I've recently started a 100% mineral mix and have been searching the forums regarding fertilizing seedlings in these mixes. I was wondering, when one does fertilize seedlings in these inorganic mixes, is there a recommended fertilizer, or can I just use anything befitting a cactus?
Also curious to know how soon and how often one would fertilize and at what strength?

My Obregonias thank you in advance! :D
Zone 5a
RichR

Re: Fertilizing Inorganic Mix for Seedlings

Post by RichR »

I would introduce a quarter-strength, balanced fertilizer such as Dynagro 7-7-7 or Jack's 20-20-20 when you moisten your soil before or after you sow the seeds. Young cactus seedlings don't need a lot of fertilizer at this stage and you could probably wait a couple of months to apply the fertilizer for that matter.
7george

Re: Fertilizing Inorganic Mix for Seedlings

Post by 7george »

I never did this before sowing. Just sometimes after opening the bags if not considering soil change soon or right away. Some rocks or soil components (vermiculite) emit nutrients. Preferred fertilizers: SCHULTZ with low nitrogen content.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8