BCSS / DKG joint zoom meeting with 2 presentations (Chilean cacti & Stapelias)

Post links, info, news, etc. regarding local and national cactus clubs and societies
Aiko

BCSS / DKG joint zoom meeting with 2 presentations (Chilean cacti & Stapelias)

Post by Aiko »

Today (when it is evening in European time, afternoon in the Americas) at 7:00 PM GMT (2:00 PM for the US east coast, I think) there will be a jointly talk organised by the BCSS (British Cactus & Succulent Society) and the German DKG society (Deutsche Kakteen Gesellschaft).

There will be two talks, one talk in German but with English subtitles will be on cacti in Chili, the other will be in English on Stapelias with German subtitles. It is a special joint event today, so it will be bilingual for the exception.

Topic: DKG/BCSS Special joint meeting
Time: Friday, 8 January 2021 at 7:00 PM (GMT)
Meeting ID: 837 0797 0937
Passcode: 212247
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83707970937?p ... g0U3MyZz09

There should be a license for a 1000 people, so I guess all of you are more than welcome to attend.

In case you don't like to use zoom as a program due to security reasons, you can still watch (and participate) via your web broswer:
- First just click on the link to the talk in your browser. Zoom then asks you to download the software, but cancel that message.
- Then you can click on the 'Launch Meeting' button that is shown on the page.
- After this the text "Having issues with Zoom Client? Join from Your Browser" will be showing.
- You can click on the "Join from Your Browser" link, and if all is right you will be in the meeting.

The BCSS organises a weekly zoom meeting, usually on Tuesday but this time on Friday. See https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.p ... talks.html for the agenda of the weekly BCSS talk in case you might like to watch the other talks too. Normally the other BCSS zoom meetings will be without subtitles and will be in English.
Aiko

Re: BCSS / DKG joint zoom meeting with 2 presentations (Chilean cacti & Stapelias)

Post by Aiko »

It starts in about one and a half hour.

Some more information:
We are proud to announce a very special start to the New Year. The BCSS and the DKG are hosting a special evening for all our members and friends. This is the first time that we have come together for what will be a wonderful evening of cacti, succulents and friendship.

We have two very special talks from our great friends, Norbert Sarnes who is giving the cactus talk in German with English subtitles and Wiebe Bosma who is giving the succulent talk in English with German subtitles.

This really is an international event not to be missed. It’s not on the usual BCSS Tuesday so please make a special note in your diary.

This is a very special evening so please help us promote the hobby. We have a licence for 1000 attendees so let’s try and fill every seat in the house. Both these two talks are new and have never been given before so there is every reason to attend.

Both the BCSS and the DKG are giving away an annual membership in a special competition on the night.
DaveW

Re: BCSS / DKG joint zoom meeting with 2 presentations (Chilean cacti & Stapelias)

Post by DaveW »

Yes for some strange reason Aiko I could not get into the BCSS/DKG meeting, although no trouble getting into the BCSS and American Society ones. However Ian the BCSS Chairman did not know why and told me they actually used the BCSS ZOOM account for the meeting. Evidently it must have been a bug on first trying and I should have rebooted the computer to clear the memory and tried again.

If I heard right last nights meeting on Judging Shows attracted around 400, including somebody in Australia watching at 6am in the morning!

Anyway for those interested, the list of BCSS talks up to the end of February is here:-

https://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/online-talks.html

Obviously you will have to adjust the times in your time zone to 7.30pm Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). All these talks are live and not recorded so can only be viewed at the time stated. If you click on the link shortly before if you don't have ZOOM loaded it will tell you to load it then take you to the talk if you follow the instructions on screen.