Using 6-BAP with Lanolin to induce offsets

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
The_Nikon_Guy

Re: Using 6-BAP with Lanolin to induce offsets

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

I came across this article that delves into the details on the mechanism used by cytokinins such as 6-BAP. Here's an excerpt:

"The primary activity of Confi gure (the cytokinin) is to interrupt apical dominance and stimulate axillary buds to break. Apical dominance is the phenomenon where the terminal bud on a branch inhibits axillary buds along the branch from breaking. Apical dominance is maintained by a balance of auxin produced in the apical meristem of the plant and cytokinin produced in the roots of the plant. Apical dominance can be interrupted by increasing the ratio of cytokinin to auxin with a foliar application of the synthetic cytokinin in Confi gure. This reduces auxin’s ability to prevent axillary bud break and allows the axillary buds to escape from apical dominance. This ability to break apical dominance may potentially be used in certain crops to stimulate early fl owering and force buds out of winter dormancy early. Decreased plant size may be a side effect of reduced apical dominance because the plant has to divide its energy budget among a greater number of side shoots. As a result, growers may observe that their
plants are shorter. Depending on the overall structure of plant, increased branching may result in a wider or narrower plant."

...and a link to the full article: http://gpnmag.com/wp-content/uploads/st ... growth.pdf
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Ok, its been a few weeks now and I can see some development at the aeriole area. I have pasted two photos below and you would notice a mass of tissue (yellowish) on the top of the aeriole. I'm guessing this will develop into a few pups at that point - the mass of tissue looks a real jumble at the moment. Will post more photos once they develop.
notocactus_erubescens_aerioles.jpg
notocactus_erubescens_aerioles.jpg (123.79 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
notocactus_erubescens_aerioles_zoom.jpg
notocactus_erubescens_aerioles_zoom.jpg (116.72 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
parodia_magnifica_aerioles.jpg
parodia_magnifica_aerioles.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

It has been almost three months. I wonder how this is going.