Cactus seeds dead?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Stijnvanhussen

Cactus seeds dead?

Post by Stijnvanhussen »

HI,

I recently ordered some seeds online but was not at home at the time of delivery. The seeds were delivered in a cardboard box and were in my mailbox that is outside (at night its been below 0 Celsius here). Did this damage the seeds? Are they dead or are they not effected in any way? Would love some advice since I am a first time grower.

Thanks!
Jangaudi

Re: Cactus seeds dead?

Post by Jangaudi »

I don't think it will be a problem. Are you Dutch ? Belgian ? Been a couple of degrees below zero at the most around here. In habitat many species get frost during winter time, so do the seeds waiting to pop next spring ;)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Frost is not a problem for seeds. Rain could, but even if you just allow the seeds to dry within a day or so, they should be fine. One thing seeds don't like is being crushed through postal sorting rollers. That is the biggest risk of receiving seeds via the post and I have received seed powder twice. Or not arriving at all is also a risk...
keith

Post by keith »

One thing seeds don't like is being crushed through postal sorting rollers. "

yes that's a problem with sending them in regular envelopes . I don't think cold weather will harm the seeds at all. I also don't like seeds in plastic bags they can rot .
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

They will probably be fine. Only one way to find out...
Stijnvanhussen

Post by Stijnvanhussen »

Yeah I am, good to know thanks!
Jangaudi wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:08 am I don't think it will be a problem. Are you Dutch ? Belgian ? Been a couple of degrees below zero at the most around here. In habitat many species get frost during winter time, so do the seeds waiting to pop next spring ;)
Stijnvanhussen

Post by Stijnvanhussen »

The seeds look good, they arrived in a small cardboard box so some protection. Thanks for the advice!
Aiko wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:13 am Frost is not a problem for seeds. Rain could, but even if you just allow the seeds to dry within a day or so, they should be fine. One thing seeds don't like is being crushed through postal sorting rollers. That is the biggest risk of receiving seeds via the post and I have received seed powder twice. Or not arriving at all is also a risk...