Some Southwest Anasazi Style pots.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Some Southwest Anasazi Style pots.

Post by Steve-0 »

Actually , just SW pottery designs on thrift store ceramics to practice while I build up my pottery materials...clay, tools, make yucca leaf and hair brushes, gain the crafting skills and fire some practice plates before the good stuff happens. Drawing on paper is kid's play compared to laying down designs in the round, 3D. The journey is the thing.
Attachments
Before, Glazed earthware ...sticker says Red Rustic pot $10.50...I paid a dollar fifty.
Before, Glazed earthware ...sticker says Red Rustic pot $10.50...I paid a dollar fifty.
p1.jpg (80.28 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
After, styled after Tularosa Black on Red pottery
After, styled after Tularosa Black on Red pottery
p2.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
And home to a Fero. latispinus
And home to a Fero. latispinus
p3.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
The Southwest Shelf thrift store ceramics.
The Southwest Shelf thrift store ceramics.
p4.jpg (119.39 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
DaveW

Re: Some Southwest Anasazi Style pots.

Post by DaveW »

To a Brit used to plain dull terracotta plastic pots Steve they rather take attention away from the plant, looking rather gaudy to me. I guess fancy pots are an American thing, just as in your shows where the pot figures in the judging. Most in the UK prefer something more restrained and muted, the plant being more important than the pot.

Each to their own however, since what we grow and what we pot them in is a personal choice. However it is a shame to me if the pot becomes more important than the plant it contains. Good job we are not all the same however and certainly they are skilfully made.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I do like fancy pots, in shape and looks, but minimal, like this old pot with my old G. spegazzinii inside ;)
$_85.JPG
$_85.JPG (117.64 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

DaveW wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 am To a Brit used to plain dull terracotta plastic pots Steve they rather take attention away from the plant, looking rather gaudy to me. I guess fancy pots are an American thing, just as in your shows where the pot figures in the judging. Most in the UK prefer something more restrained and muted, the plant being more important than the pot.

Each to their own however, since what we grow and what we pot them in is a personal choice. However it is a shame to me if the pot becomes more important than the plant it contains. Good job we are not all the same however and certainly they are skilfully made.
You make a good point on the appearance. It could easily be misconstrued and a clown and cactus show. :shock: :lol:

For me, the black bucket pots from the nursery or store look like 'training pots' or like one bought a bunch of plants but were too lazy to plant them. That seems to be how plastic pots are viewed here. The black bucket style anyway.
Most gardeners treat plastic pots as "what they came from the the store in" and then either plant them in the yard or switch to ceramics.

The only shows for my plants or pots are on this shelf during the winter and my front porch during the warmer weather.

And no way is the pot before the cactus in my mind either. It's just the container for the cactus. If you knew me better...you'd know I'm really a creative, artsy eclectic kind of person. And I like crackled, glazed ceramic pots just as much as anything I come up with.

For me the black plastic bucket style pots are temporary housing and this past year I've found out the sun really heats up the soil in them. 130F was measured during a heat wave last year. The cacti all survived luckily.

Hope that makes sense.
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

Jangaudi wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 pm I do like fancy pots, in shape and looks, but minimal, like this old pot with my old G. spegazzinii inside ;)$_85.JPG
The cactus and pot go well together. I have some cactus planted in similar containers. And like that style as well.
7george

Post by 7george »

Nice. But it's tricky to plant them when spines cover the pot over. We just need some tools and patience.

Hey, Steve, Will you really get rid of that G. spegazzinii because of being South-american?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

7george wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:32 pm
Hey, Steve, Will you really get rid of that G. spegazzinii because of being South-american?
Ah no ! that spegazzinii is mine, I don't mind where it's from ;)
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

And from Steve...No, that one would stay with me as well. It's a very handsome specimen!

As I mentioned there are only 6-7 South Americans in my collection. In the tennis ball size. But because they're less cold hardy and upside down climate plants, I want to shrink, narrow, reduce my collection and focus on the local natives...so I'll let those few move on. Maybe even my Gymo baldi which is a faithful bloomer.