Pilosocereus Azureus Fungal Issue

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
BryanO

Pilosocereus Azureus Fungal Issue

Post by BryanO »

Hello all,

I have some lesions popping up with my pilosocereus and wondering if anyone can help identify what it is and how I can prevent it from spreading / getting worse (I think it’s fungal but may be wrong). I had them outside and we’ve had some temperature swings and rainfall that they had to endure. I’ve tried to move them to a dry place when I could before any rain but missed a few times. The first one (patient zero as I call him) had a few spots I noticed a few weeks ago and at first glance I thought it was maybe just mechanical damage from being moved or being rotated and didn’t think much of it. They got really wet one more time and since then it’s really taken a bad turn. Weeping brown liquid, and the spots are spreading. I’ll attach photos of both the really sick one and a more healthy one that is showing early signs of the same affliction. I’ve since moved them inside to a sunny window after moving things around to help them completely dry out (quarantined the bad one). Is there anything I can do to prevent further spread on the healthy ones and treat the bad one? I was looking forward to repotting all of them come spring and now they’ve caught something. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Patient zero
Patient zero
2A64B447-0684-4701-83C1-1F51C255045D.jpeg (118.21 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Close up of where it’s bad
Close up of where it’s bad
2BA21E1F-205B-4B2F-BD2C-E6CB8D5291B5.jpeg (258.91 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Lesions weeping.
Lesions weeping.
6EFC402F-5235-4005-B06A-74F96E8E1A2E.jpeg (224.68 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
What it looks like early stages on a healthy neighbor
What it looks like early stages on a healthy neighbor
833B85CC-A9F0-4E2F-9F57-4D514A5B6F60.jpeg (187.08 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Southeast Texas Gardening
esp_imaging

Re: Pilosocereus Azureus Fungal Issue

Post by esp_imaging »

BryanO wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm I had them outside and we’ve had some temperature swings and rainfall that they had to endure.
Not especially useful for us to know unless you tell us where you live, your climate etc. The planet is a big and diverse place.

Pilosocereus need warm winters, in the UK >10deg C or similar is often mentioned - our persistent cold, and wet/humid, grey winter days aren't great for them. If you are in a sunnier, dryer climate, you can go quite a bit colder for short periods, especially if you can keep them dry.

The black rot you have is often fatal once fully developed like in your first plant, but plants can sometime survive it. I'd be fairly optimistic for your healthier plant. Consider taking a cutting of the top of the first plant, well above the top black area, let the cut surface dry for at least 2 weeks, and try to root it in dry grit, sand etc. Otherwise, keep them both warm, dry, sunny and in low humidity and hope that they damage will stop spreading.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

The brown liquid droplets oozing from the lesions are typical of bacterial infections not fungal. Probably secondary infection on damaged tissue due to low temps. esp-imaging has offered excellent advice.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

esp_imaging wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:33 amNot especially useful for us to know unless you tell us where you live, your climate etc. The planet is a big and diverse place.
Agreed -- BryanO, please see this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=43819
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
BryanO

Post by BryanO »

I really appreciate all the timely responses!

Esp_Imaging: Appreciate the advice! Apologies for not listing my location. Being new, I should have completed my profile before posting. I’m in the Houston, Texas area. Definitely known for some wild temp swings and this winter has started off pretty wet. Normally I overwinter what ever I can fit inside but my wife has begun fostering some young cats and they definitely don’t hesitate to mess with anything on a window sill. The cacti in question have been indoors in the past 3 winters and it’s clear now that trend should have continued. I have since moved them inside to a protected window to dry out and hopefully recuperate. The really bad one I’ll take your advice and make a clean cut and let him root once he’s calloused.

MikeInOz: This affliction seems pretty nasty so I don’t doubt you’re right about it being bacterial. We had a few nights dip down below freezing for an hour or so and a few of those nights it was wet as well, must have been when it was damaged. Thanks for the clarification.

Steve Johnson: Noted. I’ve updated my profile.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

BryanO wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:00 am I really appreciate all the timely responses!

We had a few nights dip down below freezing for an hour or so and a few of those nights it was wet as well, must have been when it was damaged.
BryanO, thanks for your response, too.

The specific temp / weather pattern you describe is interesting to know, and potentially very useful to other users of the forum.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
BryanO

Post by BryanO »

esp_imaging: Indeed. Good to have a record of my situation in the hopes it helps others avoid the mistakes I made. Thanks again for the advice.