Anybody grown Curio (Senecio) from seed?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Anybody grown Curio (Senecio) from seed?

Post by Shane »

Has anyone grown Curio (Senecio talinoides, rowleyanus and similar plants) from seed? They seem to set seed quite easily so I figured I'd try with all the seed I have. I was told by a local grower they are difficult to germinate (though succulents aren't his main area of focus). Does anyone have any advice?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Jangaudi

Re: Anybody grown Curio (Senecio) from seed?

Post by Jangaudi »

hmmmmmn, I 've grown Senecio kleinia from seeds, and that one was realy easy, though my batch of Senecio stapeliformis failed, still not sure why. Anyways as they are mostly winter growers, seeds germinate at a cool temperature, like 21°C for kleinia.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I've heard they are easy from seed, but I failed to get and germination with Senecio kleinia.
Maybe it needs to be fresh?
If you've got a lot of seed, why not sow some asap using a "normal" method and see what happens. And report back here!
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

esp_imaging wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:06 pm Maybe it needs to be fresh?
Hmm, could be. I remember I used some sort of baggy method (in a glass jar, sterile) and the seeds sown on the surface, at a cool temperature, and germination % was very high. Seeds came from Koehres back then.
Shane

Post by Shane »

esp_imaging wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:06 pm If you've got a lot of seed, why not sow some asap using a "normal" method and see what happens. And report back here!
As it happens, I do have a lot of seed. Senecio talinoides is everywhere in LA (it's used as a groundcover) and it's all making seed. If anyone wants to experiment with me I have enough seed to share

Shane

Post by Shane »

I went ahead and planted some. One pot using the normal method (baggie, sterile soil, artificial light) and one pot open air outside. I'm not sure the ones outside will do much but I thought it was worth a try. Craig Fry mentions a similar method here:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 23#p319401
I don't have space to plant in ground but I think the idea is similar (but obviously in ground would be better). He did apparently get good germination on Senecio rowleyanus doing this (albeit in June). We'll see what happens. Hope springs eternal

Shane

Post by Shane »

Update:
No germination yet. I ordered some gibberellic acid (GA3) which should be getting here any day now. That'll be the next thing I try