Mammillaria Sanchez mejoradae pollination

Create seed of your own
Carondelet75

Mammillaria Sanchez mejoradae pollination

Post by Carondelet75 »

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could tell me if it is possible to pollinate Mammillaria Sanchez mejoradae with any other mammillarias? I only have one and they are hard to come by. Would love to get some seed from my plant.
A_G_R

Re: Mammillaria Sanchez mejoradae pollination

Post by A_G_R »

It is possible, but if you are succesfull you will have hybrids, not true sanchez-mejoradae.
Alejandro
Carondelet75

Post by Carondelet75 »

Thanks for that. I had read that mammillarias are resistant to hybridization and that cross pollination results in the offspring most likely being the same as the parent plant from which the seed originated. Not sure if that is true or not. I have only just started out experimenting with hand pollination so I may be showing my ignorance 😁
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Carondelet75 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:18 pm Thanks for that. I had read that mammillarias are resistant to hybridization and that cross pollination results in the offspring most likely being the same as the parent plant from which the seed originated. Not sure if that is true or not. I have only just started out experimenting with hand pollination so I may be showing my ignorance 😁
It can happen when the foreign pollen forces/tricks the flower to use it's own pollen, I think it's worth trying!
Alejandro