Neglected

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nona

Neglected

Post by nona »

I've had this specimen sitting neglected for years, perhaps because of its tiny size. Only after taking a close-up picture did I notice it looked quite pretty. Any idea what it is?
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
anttisepp

Re: Neglected

Post by anttisepp »

Lobivia arachnacantha
nona

Post by nona »

anttisepp wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:17 am Lobivia arachnacantha
Thanks. I've started to give it more sun. I notice from pictures they are heavy clumpers. I'll try removing offsets as they appear in the hope it grows.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

nona wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:16 am
anttisepp wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:17 am Lobivia arachnacantha
I notice from pictures they are heavy clumpers. I'll try removing offsets as they appear in the hope it grows.
Why remove offsets? Offsetting is largely HOW this species grows. It's part of the character of the plant.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They don't get very big individual heads, in time it will form a large clump. It should also bloom freely - and the more heads it has, the more flowers you'll get.
Spence :mrgreen:
nona

Post by nona »

greenknight wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:18 am They don't get very big individual heads, in time it will form a large clump. It should also bloom freely - and the more heads it has, the more flowers you'll get.
Removing pups won't encourage the body to grow? Currently it's only 2cm and IIRC was itself a pup from a plant about the same size.
I notice the young spines have a red colour. Will that mean the flowers will be red?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's a small-bodied species, it puts its energy into producing offset and flowers - blossoms bigger than the cactus stem. Take a look here: http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... chnacantha

The original flower color was yellow to yellow-orange, but plant breeders have developed all sorts of colors. Could be red or purple, just have to wait and see.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

nona wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:07 am
greenknight wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:18 am They don't get very big individual heads, in time it will form a large clump. It should also bloom freely - and the more heads it has, the more flowers you'll get.
Removing pups won't encourage the body to grow? Currently it's only 2cm and IIRC was itself a pup from a plant about the same size.
I notice the young spines have a red colour. Will that mean the flowers will be red?
Each head is 2 - 4 cm thick by desciption so do not expect from it to grow much bigger.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
nona

Post by nona »

7george wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:28 pm
nona wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:07 am
Each head is 2 - 4 cm thick by desciption so do not expect from it to grow much bigger.
Thanks for the replies. I just pickup up Lobivia tiegeliana. The nursery label says it grows to 6cm, while some online sources claim it can grow to 15cm. That's quite a range but I guess cultivation and random cross-breeding play a part.
7george

Post by 7george »

These two species are quite similar for me. Cultivation can change their look for sure.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8