Seeking advice on remediation of damaged fasciated regions

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
RorBurg56

Seeking advice on remediation of damaged fasciated regions

Post by RorBurg56 »

Hello all, not much of a first post but I didn't have much reason to until now. Basically the issue is with two separate plants, one a cristate monvillea and the other a grafted euphorb lactea. The former has burn damage to the uppermost fingers of the crest which has corked since, the latter was a gift that got pretty messed up during a car ride, leading to very extensive meristem damage along the full crest line. Both have ceased growth, although the lower body of both seems healthy, no miscoloration, loss of turgor or looseness in pot. I have had fasciated plants break and revert to "normal", which I don't usually mind but I wondered if anyone had some guidance on perhaps removing damaged portions from such plants and still retaining fasciation in any new growth that might ensue. Will get pics later when have the time, but thought I'd just ask this for now.

Thanks for your time, any advice appreciated 🙂.
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
esp_imaging

Re: Seeking advice on remediation of damaged fasciated regions

Post by esp_imaging »

We don't know where you are.

If you are in most parts of the northern hemisphere, you can expect to stop or slow over winter anyway.

Without photos, it's hard to comment specifically, but you could always wait until mid spring and see if new growth seems how you would like it before trying surgery.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Thanks, it's been updated. Location is Scottish Midlands.

First plant:
compressed 1.jpg
compressed 1.jpg (98.12 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Second plant:
compressed 2.jpg
compressed 2.jpg (60.15 KiB) Viewed 977 times

There does seem to be a new finger near the base of the first plant, so I may just have not noticed that development. The second I got damaged and its not really seen much seasonality in my hands because 8ve not had it long.

Thanks again
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.