Too much light?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Too much light?

Post by Shane »

I've realized some of the issues I've been having with slow growth has been because of not enough light. I increased the amount of light and my seedlings seem to be doing better, mostly. But this one looks like it's getting too much light maybe. My other Pilosocereus looked much different initially. Think these ones might be stunted?

I've been using LED bulbs because it's cheap and thought I could get good results without investing in a better setup, but now I'm seeing that this might not be the best way
Attachments
P. pachycladus
P. pachycladus
20210216_121400_copy_756x756.jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Shane

Re: Too much light?

Post by Shane »

Here's the picture again, with some seedlings circled. I realized they're hard to see
Attachments
20210216_130155.jpg
20210216_130155.jpg (79.44 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
metsolt

Post by metsolt »

Yes, that would mean there is stress, but it is not the worst red I've seen. Possibly it will go away as they get used to their new conditions.

Some seedlings that I started were very very red when they germinated, but bounced back to green soon after germinating. I even still have a few reddish Escobaria viviparas in one pot, but they are doing just as well as their green siblings in the same pot.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it does not look too bad to me. If you changed conditions, it's responding and it should be okay, but definitely keep an eye on it.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Pink is okay, dark red or purple is a problem. I don't think you need to worry.
Spence :mrgreen:
Conophytum

Post by Conophytum »

The one’s with the lighter colors are fine. I would not have turned the light level up immediately or not give them that much light at all. They get stunned when they are put into a different environment. I would have changed the brightness light 0.2 levels a day just to be safe, or 0.5/1 levels a day at least. They will slowly adapt to their new environment and once that is complete, they should be fine.
mesembs are cool