Seedling: 1st time (Updated: 1 month later)

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
From0to10in2weeks

Seedling: 1st time (Updated: 1 month later)

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

Hi,

Unexpectedly harvesting fruits from a Melo. matanzanus got me into growing cacti from seeds a lot sooner than I had expected. :D But not surprisingly there are some mysteries along the way. For instance, I did not at all expect that very young seedlings would look like in the following photo.

23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5294.jpg
23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5294.jpg (196.35 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

This is from a Pachycereus pringlei sown February 14th and showing first signs of life two days later. Now, there are 17 (of 20) seedlings and I am wondering if this looks alright, specifically the height and shape. The tallest ones are about 1 cm. For reference, the quartz sand is nominally 2 - 3 mm in diameter. Note, a batch of Marginatocereus marginatus seedlings shows very similar heights and shape. All other cacti show the more expected pinhead appearance and they are largely tugged into the quartz sand.

Is that normal for this species? Or does it indicate that it needs more light? Light levels in the grow house near the edges and in the center are around 2000 and 4000 lux, respectively. Temperature varies between 24 - 28 C.

Thank you. Best.
Last edited by From0to10in2weeks on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenknight

Re: Seedling: 1st time

Post by greenknight »

They're fine, no problems I can see.
Spence :mrgreen:
From0to10in2weeks

greenknight wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:55 am They're fine, no problems I can see.
Thank you for the feedback! Best.
From0to10in2weeks

This is one month later. Crazy!
23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5689.jpg
23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5689.jpg (171.2 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
There is this yellowish-green coloured one. Any ideas what might cause that? Already in the photo form a month ago one can see that the seedling is lighter in color compared to the others. It just faded in the last few weeks.
Then, to the upper right of it one can see a seedling with darkish areolas. Is that a concern? Would you pull both of them?

Thanks. Best.
greenknight

Re: Seedling: 1st time (Updated: 1 month later)

Post by greenknight »

Probably just genetic variation. I'd just wait and see how they do. The yellow one might develop into a variegate, but it wouldn't be surprising if it just dies. There's no rush about doing anything, give them a chance
From0to10in2weeks

greenknight wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:26 pm Probably just genetic variation. I'd just wait and see how they do. The yellow one might develop into a variegate, but it wouldn't be surprising if it just dies. There's no rush about doing anything, give them a chance
Thanks for taking the time to comment. What will actually happen to these "wings"? Will they get absorbed by the growing body?

Best.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The "wings" are the seed leaves (cotyledons), more prominent on some species than others - on many species they're more like tiny horns. Yes, they'll be absorbed.
From0to10in2weeks

greenknight wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:01 am The "wings" are the seed leaves (cotyledons), more prominent on some species than others - on many species they're more like tiny horns. Yes, they'll be absorbed.
Thanks for the explanation! I've been seeing the "tiny horn version" on other seedlings and I've been wondering. Do you think these ones can be removed from the grow house? Best.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Best to baby them along for a few months, it would set them back a lot to change their growing conditions at this early stage.
From0to10in2weeks

greenknight wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:06 am Best to baby them along for a few months, it would set them back a lot to change their growing conditions at this early stage.
Thanks! Much appreciate your patience and feedback. Best.