HELP PLEASE NEW TO SUCCULENTS

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
AlisonS

HELP PLEASE NEW TO SUCCULENTS

Post by AlisonS »

Hello - I recently acquired a succulent (I think it is anyhow, Euphorbia?) and I am not sure whether it is diseased or possibly sun bleached (if this type of plant can be bleached by the sun).

It's very dark green and healthy looking on one side but if you literally turn it 180 degrees its very pale on the other side with some brown scaling/dry patches. I've had it for two weeks, I haven't watered it yet, the soil is very dry but I am worried about overwatering it. I don't know when the last owner watered it and I have no contact with them now. Just wondered if someone on here could give me some advice please, I absolutely love it - hoping it can be saved. I've attached a couple of images.

Many thanks :D
Attachments
IMG_3135.jpeg
IMG_3135.jpeg (136.07 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
IMG_3149.jpeg
IMG_3149.jpeg (124.55 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
IMG_3145.jpeg
IMG_3145.jpeg (159.74 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
mikethecactusguy

Re: HELP PLEASE NEW TO SUCCULENTS

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi Alison.
You just acquired it. Did you ask the person who you got it from about the color difference? Was it inside or outside before. Was it in sun, indirect sun, shade? just a few questions to help with the problem solving
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
AlisonS

Post by AlisonS »

Hi Mike

No I didn't ask, I just put it straight in the car and didn't really take any notice, I know they had it inside, they lived in a flat and said they had it in a window. I put in straight in a corner when i got home and then a week later turned it round and noticed the colour difference, so at first I thought perhaps it was me and I had left that side in the shade too long and it had been starved of light all week, but then I started reading about them and wondered if it was because they had it in a window and it had been damaged by light and I didn't notice when I picked it up ( I know I should have checked it over...... rookie error!)

Thanks
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It's a Euphorbia, probably E ingens, http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUC ... bia_ingens
If grown indoors, ignore the reference to tolerating moderate shade, it needs a sunny window.

It is broadly grown like the desert cacti in this link:

https://cactiguide.com/growcacti/

Check out other basic succulent care guides online too.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
AlisonS

Post by AlisonS »

Thank you, that's helpful.