Our High Desert Garden

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
mikethecactusguy

Re: Our High Desert Garden

Post by mikethecactusguy »

It's going to be a cool looking desert scape when done.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

There is a bloke in Australia who puts little black plastic hats on his tall columnar cacti to stop the growing points being frost-damaged in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD47cdC2FlY&t=336s

Looks like that is going to be a very nice garden when it has all bedded in.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Looking good, Ryan!

I'm heading back down your way next weekend...passing through to Cactus Joe's in Vegas with a stop at Star Nursery, too.
RyManUtah

Post by RyManUtah »

Steve-0 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 am Looking good, Ryan!

I'm heading back down your way next weekend...passing through to Cactus Joe's in Vegas with a stop at Star Nursery, too.
Thanks SteveO!

Perfect weather this weekend too! Cactus Joes eh? Willing to scout out some “lift-able by one person” size Joshua Trees while you’re walking around for me? No biggie if not ha.
St. George, UT - Zone 8 - 2600’
RyManUtah

Post by RyManUtah »

One Windowsill wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:07 pm There is a bloke in Australia who puts little black plastic hats on his tall columnar cacti to stop the growing points being frost-damaged in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD47cdC2FlY&t=336s

Looks like that is going to be a very nice garden when it has all bedded in.
Thank you for the link. I am always in awe at every Australian cactus garden I have seen. I hope to get the pleasure to see some in person some day.
RyManUtah

Post by RyManUtah »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:59 pm It's going to be a cool looking desert scape when done.
Thank you. I look forward to it filling in. This stage is nice because it’s really into the plant “whatever”/wherever. I’ve been enjoying the blank canvas.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

RyManUtah wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:17 am
Steve-0 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 am Looking good, Ryan!

Thanks SteveO!

Perfect weather this weekend too! Cactus Joes eh? Willing to scout out some “lift-able by one person” size Joshua Trees while you’re walking around for me? No biggie if not ha.
Sure! I can do that. Just let me know how much of YOUR money I get to spend! :shock: :lol: Plus shipping and handling, dock & destination fees, gratuity, etc :wink:

All kidding aside...say the word and the real budget, size and preferred shape ( branching, single stem ). Not sure where my wife is going to sit on the return trip if I overload the car with plants....haha. But she'll manage I guess. :roll:

PM me

PS-There's a nursery across the road from Cactus Joe's with better selection and pricing according to a guy up here in West Jordan. I may be stopping there, too.