2 succulents

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

2 succulents

Post by Mike »

Hi, any help on the first 2 is appreciated. The second looks a lot like the third, which we had identified as graptosedum poindexter, except it is very red. Thanks Mike

templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

The first photograph is Cotyledon orbiculata. The middle one I am not too sure at the moment, will get back on that one and the bottom one is Graptopetalum paraguayense.

John
Last edited by templegatejohn on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi John,

How many plants do you have - you seem to have everything.

As to the bottome pic, there are actually two plants. The one on the left is the ghostplant you identified. The smaller one on the right was sold as the graptosedum poindexter by the same lady that sold us the ghostplant. The leaves seem to stay smaller, and they are not as sharp to the touch as the ghostplant. Since this is a hybrid, that makes senes.

Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

I thought at first that the middle picture might be a red hybrid of Echeveria affinis but I am not sure now. If I come across it I will let you know. The Graptosedum I have never come across in England.

How many plants do I have? Well I don't really know. A greenhouse full is the answer I suppose. But of course I have had many plants in 34 years of collecting and perhaps more importantly seen the collections of many others, when I was an active member of the local cacti society.

Regarding making an ID from photographs I am sure you are finding out yourself from looking on the web that a one dimensional photograph is no substitute for seeing and handling the plant. However your enthusiasm is terrific and I am sure you will pick up knowledge of the hobby very quickly.

Best wishes
John
Matthew1381

Post by Matthew1381 »

Hi all,

I think the middle one looks like Echeveria Rosea
though the plant looks redder than normal, - bit more
in the sun I guess ?

Rgs
Matthew
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

I think you could be right Matthew, but I have not been able to find a decent pic on the web to show to Mike.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Guys, here is a pic. I am not sure whether it is the same or not. A lot of the succulents look extremely similar to me.

Mike
Matthew1381

Post by Matthew1381 »

Hi Mike,

Well here's my Echeveria Rosea plant as comparison.
You notice that mine is not that reddish though it does exhibit reddish tone at the tips.
You are indeed right in that there can be many varieties that can have different cultivars of the same plant especially in Echeverias as they are easily propagated.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It could well be it. I also saw this one called Crassula radicans - hard to say.

I also saw a Crassula marginalis, but that seemed relatively flat.

Mike
Mike

Answer is graptosedum Vera Higgens

Post by Mike »

Hi guys,

at the LA intercity show, I found the answer. It is Graptosedum 'Vera Higgens' also know as G. Bronze. According to a site I found, it is

"a small succulent with reddish bronze colored foliage. The 1 inch long leaves, flat on the upper surface and keeled below, whorl around the stem with leaves at the tip arranged in a rosette. The leaves remain somewhat persistent on the stem so that the rosette is usually subtended by several inches of older leaves. In spring appear the terminal clusters of pinkish flower buds that open to reveal the 4 petaled yellow flowers. Growing to about 6 inches tall, it can spread or drape over a pot. Plant in sun (coastal) to light shade with good drainage in near frost free areas (has tolerated 27° F). We received this plant unnamed and for several years sold it as Sedum 'Coffee'. It is actually an intergeneric hybrid between Graptopetalum paraguayensis and Sedum stahlii and the correct name should be X Graptosedum 'Vera Higgins' (or perhaps 'Bronze' - these two names seem interchangeable and there has been some debate on which is correct).

Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

Well done for tracking it down. It seemed likely that it was a hybrid, but to be honest I had never heard of Graptosedum until you mentioned it a while ago.

John