Cotyledons dying in Albuca seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Cotyledons dying in Albuca seedlings

Post by Shane »

I have some A. concordiana seedlings (weeks old) that were seemingly doing well until recently. The cotyledon tips are dying. Assume that's not normal? Some have had a bit of mold on the seed cases. It spread to the cotyledon on a couple. I uprooted those trying to wipe the mold off. Most seedlings are mold free still. Not sure what's causing the tip death. They were doing well before
Attachments
20210301_000125_copy_756x755.jpg
20210301_000125_copy_756x755.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Jangaudi

Re: Cotyledons dying in Albuca seedlings

Post by Jangaudi »

hmmm, maybe conditions are not that right, not sure. Could be too humid and they start rotting from the top.
I can only compare with Albuca spiralis here, but I left them in the open air quite quickly, or not even really used the baggy method. Also, once a little bulb has formed, the tips drying / dying is not a big issue, they just keep growing from the bulb up. Why don't you try just cutting one of the tips, and see if the rot / dying stops there, then you'll be safe. And take them out of the baggy, but mist them regularly, and prevent the soil from drying out completely.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks for the response!

I took them out of the bag before I went to work. I moved them into a slightly darker place (300-400 lumens per sf). I'm obviously not experienced growing these plants but I don't think this will be enough longer term. Was afaid of leaving them alone in bright light for their first nine hrs out of the bag

Shane

Post by Shane »

I've been keeping the soil moist and light bright and they seem to be liking that. I don't know that they'll all survive, but several of them are growing bulbs nicely and at least one of them has the start of a new leaf
Attachments
20210320_224512_copy_756x1008.jpg
20210320_224512_copy_756x1008.jpg (112.54 KiB) Viewed 1102 times