What happens when cactus seeds in a Jiffy bag/bubble mailer go through a letter sorting machine

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
T.bridgesii

What happens when cactus seeds in a Jiffy bag/bubble mailer go through a letter sorting machine

Post by T.bridgesii »

Total carnage.
BDF99574-E565-4AAD-A73E-9ACE21B1C57D.jpeg
BDF99574-E565-4AAD-A73E-9ACE21B1C57D.jpeg (50.72 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
0789A44A-09D5-462D-B4B7-F7CBEE2517A4.jpeg
0789A44A-09D5-462D-B4B7-F7CBEE2517A4.jpeg (71.59 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Aiko

Re: What happens when cactus seeds in a Jiffy bag/bubble mailer go through a letter sorting machine

Post by Aiko »

Yes, always add some padding.
I use kitchen paper myself. Just fold it up a few times around the bags of seeds and the seeds will survive perfectly fine.
T.bridgesii

Re: What happens when cactus seeds in a Jiffy bag/bubble mailer go through a letter sorting machine

Post by T.bridgesii »

Aiko wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 pm Yes, always add some padding.
I use kitchen paper myself. Just fold it up a few times around the bags of seeds and the seeds will survive perfectly fine.
That’s a good idea. I tend to pack everything I post in a rigid cardboard box as a matter of course (it isn’t more expensive if you use a thin box).

These came from an actual seed shop website, so I was surprised this happened. :-(

They are more fragile than they look!
Last edited by T.bridgesii on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Dare I ask which one?
T.bridgesii

Post by T.bridgesii »

Aiko wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm Dare I ask which one?
I don’t want to name anyone (not yet anyway). They’re working with me, and hopefully will resolve the situation and take measures to keep it from recurring, but I thought this experience would be a good thing to share with people who are posting seeds to each other, since it wouldn’t have occurred to me that this could happen in the post.
keith

Post by keith »

Was the bubble mailer on the small size ?
T.bridgesii

Post by T.bridgesii »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:14 pm Was the bubble mailer on the small size ?
Yeah, it was the smallest size. Basically letter-sized.
T.bridgesii

Re: Crushed Seeds - I hoped I wouldn’t have to do this, but...

Post by T.bridgesii »

...three emails later and no reply from them since the 7th, even though I expressly requested a refund in the second email I sent them (since I actually found the same seeds cheaper elsewhere).

I suggest you do not buy cactus seeds from exotic-plants.de unless you really want powdered seeds for some strange reason.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

For your seed purchases I would advice to always steer to one of the sellers mentioned in the thread https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... st#p379242.
T.bridgesii

Post by T.bridgesii »

Aiko wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:42 pm For your seed purchases I would advice to always steer to one of the sellers mentioned in the thread https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... st#p379242.
Thanks for the tip.

I actually found that http://www.kaktus-koehres.de has most of what I want, and though I was initially put off by all the extra fees they seem to tack on, it looks like if you order enough at once it balances out and isn’t too awful. I didn’t necessarily want to order hundreds of seeds, but might just go for it.