Starting Over

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Traveller

Re: Starting Over

Post by Traveller »

Yesterday I set seed of 110 A. asterias and 100 A. myriostigma cultivars. Today I worked on the hardwood benches. I felt bad for having to evict the tiny lizards who have been living on top of the bench.
Zone 10, Sydney Australia
I love the Mexican Miniatures best!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Today was cold and rainy, a remunder that here it is still Winter and that it hasn't released it's grasp just yet.
During a brief period of dryness, I managed to get a second coat of varnish on the first section of bench.
A quick review of the recent grafts and all but one look good.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

A quick photo, the permanent benches are reclaimed Eucalyptus & Ironwood. Once the benches are waterproofed, I can put plants back on the ground level.
Attachments
Dry but glossy!
Dry but glossy!
20210807_160922_copy_1024x601.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Seedlings of both Astrophytum myriostigma and asterias have started germinating. It's looking really promising that some of the seedlings are variegated, and I will take better pictures in the days ahead.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I'm restarting my blog, but now with a focus that is no longer on the past disasters and tragedys.
The starting over has completed and now it is time to build everything up and start enjoying it over again.
The continuation of this is now "The Magic Greenhouse".
Enjoy,
Alex
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

A_G_R wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:45 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:57 am A Mammillaria is about to flower.
I have lost the label, anyone know what it might be?
I think that is a Turbinicarpus valdezianus, quite the specimen for sure!!! Similar to Mammillaria pectinifera
I don't know that I seed grew any Turbs. I have done Mammillaria from seed, so that may be a pectinatus. I don't know what else it could be.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm Well, as it has been Winter, not a huge amount of activity has been happening in my greenhouse, so not much to update until now.
I have set up hundreds of grafting stocks to prepare for Spring's seed that I will set.
A few weeks ago, on one of my Obregonia denegrii, I collected 5 seeds from the bottom of a fruit that was open.
Ants may have gotten the rest of the seeds, but I planted those 5.
Within a number of days, 4 of the 5 seeds germinated. Today I grafted all 4 of them onto Pereskiopsis.20210731_155825_copy_829x763.jpg
Just to be thorough, I grafted the bottoms of each seedling onto the Peres as well.
What a sweetie little Abby is! Is she doing ok? I have never tried grafting cacti so no experience, but I am utterly impressed by your work. How on earth do you manage to graft those hardly visible seedlings? You must have the eyesight of an eagle and very steady hands! :D
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Traveller wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:33 am
A_G_R wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:45 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:57 am A Mammillaria is about to flower.
I have lost the label, anyone know what it might be?
I think that is a Turbinicarpus valdezianus, quite the specimen for sure!!! Similar to Mammillaria pectinifera
I don't know that I seed grew any Turbs. I have done Mammillaria from seed, so that may be a pectinatus. I don't know what else it could be.
Turbinicarpus flowers from the apex, Mammillarias flower lower in the body, sometimes forming a 'crown' a Google search might help on the ID, or somebody else might pipe up ;-)
Alejandro
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Alex,
I am quite sure the cactus on you photo is a Turbinicarpus valdezianus.
I have kept about 40 T. valdezianus which were propagated from seeds harvested from my cacti.

T. valdezianus has two flower colours, purple and white.
The attached photo is one of my T. valdezianus with a white flower which was in flower in the end of last month.

Mammillaria pectinatus are also almost in flower. I can take a photo in this afternoon.

Frank
Attachments
T. valdezianus
T. valdezianus
IMG_1384 - Copy.JPG (105.87 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Mrs.Green wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:42 pm
Traveller wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm Well, as it has been Winter, not a huge amount of activity has been happening in my greenhouse, so not much to update until now.
I have set up hundreds of grafting stocks to prepare for Spring's seed that I will set.
A few weeks ago, on one of my Obregonia denegrii, I collected 5 seeds from the bottom of a fruit that was open.
Ants may have gotten the rest of the seeds, but I planted those 5.
Within a number of days, 4 of the 5 seeds germinated. Today I grafted all 4 of them onto Pereskiopsis.20210731_155825_copy_829x763.jpg
Just to be thorough, I grafted the bottoms of each seedling onto the Peres as well.
What a sweetie little Abby is! Is she doing ok? I have never tried grafting cacti so no experience, but I am utterly impressed by your work. How on earth do you manage to graft those hardly visible seedlings? You must have the eyesight of an eagle and very steady hands! :D
Abby is in remission at the moment, so we treasure every day we still have with her. After the chemo, her Schnauzer beard fell out, but it's growing back now.
Attachments
20210812_102059_copy_597x1024.jpg
20210812_102059_copy_597x1024.jpg (123.08 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Alex,

I attached a photo of M. Pectinifera for your reference.

Frank
Attachments
M. pectinifera
M. pectinifera
IMG_1391 - Copy.JPG (115.46 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Hanazono wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:05 am Alex,

I attached a photo of M. Pectinifera for your reference.

Frank
Thank you Frank.
I think you are probably right. I guess we should know for sure when this one blossoms? The flowers look ready to burst any moment.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Traveller; Best wishes for Abby ❤️
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Mrs.Green wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:16 am Traveller; Best wishes for Abby ❤️
Thank you. She is in remission and we really don't want to lose her. We lost her little sister to chronic kidney disease at 4 years old in April.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Traveller wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:14 am
Mrs.Green wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:16 am Traveller; Best wishes for Abby ❤️
Thank you. She is in remission and we really don't want to lose her. We lost her little sister to chronic kidney disease at 4 years old in April.
I am sorry for your loss 💔 That’s the downside of having pet’s..most of them have much shorter lifespan, even when they reach ‘old’ age, than humans. The years go by so fast and it’s hard loosing them.